Discussion Board

Question Kernel Debug API ?

Hi,

Is there a document in Forum Nokia or Symbian website that lists all the APIs and SDKs that are produced by Nokia/Symbian and what capabilities they require in order to run and most importantly who can obtain these... let me explain

There are public SDKs where are available for the general pool of developers. I know there are some SDKs which are provided only to partners after being admitted to privileged programs.

The question being is there a comprehensive list ?

In particular, I am trying to build a mini-debug on-device monitor similar to Metrowerks TRK although not as comprehensive as Metrowerks TRK. I read in the book "symbian os internals..." that by using "kernel debug api" it is possible to act like a debugger. However, I tried to find this API... couldn't locate it. I suspect that it might be a reserved API.

Also, I read that in order to register for a breakpoint the software needs to be written as a driver. Again, the capability to deploy a device driver software is only granted to Forum Nokia launchpad members I guess.

I am looking forward for some authentic information on which SDK is available to whom and which capability is required in turn to use the SDK/API and any general tips on writing a mini-on-device-debugger

thanks,
    --Kris

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Kernel Debug API ?

Quote Originally Posted by sptkrishnan View Post
    Is there a document in Forum Nokia or Symbian website that lists all the APIs and SDKs that are produced by Nokia/Symbian and what capabilities they require in order to run and most importantly who can obtain these
    No

There are public SDKs where are available for the general pool of developers. I know there are some SDKs which are provided only to partners after being admitted to privileged programs.
    For information about these you could check Symbian partnering program.

The question being is there a comprehensive list ?
    No there are not.

In particular, I am trying to build a mini-debug on-device monitor similar to Metrowerks TRK although not as comprehensive as Metrowerks TRK. I read in the book "symbian os internals..." that by using "kernel debug api" it is possible to act like a debugger. However, I tried to find this API... couldn't locate it. I suspect that it might be a reserved API.
    It sounds like symbian owned API, so you might find it from the BAK kit, but you could contact Symbian partnering for finding more informaion about it.

Also, I read that in order to register for a breakpoint the software needs to be written as a driver. Again, the capability to deploy a device driver software is only granted to Forum Nokia launchpad members I guess.
    I have no idea where you have gotten such an idea, I'm rather sure being a launchpad memeber should have nothing to do with capability issues. But you thugh are required to have a valid use case as well as valid Business case, and since they are only usable for publicer ID owners, you are also required to be a company.

I am looking forward for some authentic information on which SDK is available to whom and which capability is required in turn to use the SDK/API and any general tips on writing a mini-on-device-debugger
    You should first break up the tasks you want to do, then find APIs for each task, and then see what these API require..

Super Contributor

That particular API IIRC is only in the devkit, at least that is where I have seen it. There is also very little documentation with it unfortunatly.

You need to be at least a launchpad member as this is a kernel side driver and so requires an "ALL" certificate in order to install.

You may also not be able to debug certain applications due to internal restrictions.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Arrow Re: Kernel Debug API ?

Hi Jukka and Paul,

Thanks for your informative replies. One question, in particular to Jukka, although anyone is welcome to answer :) .

The application at the URL http://www.drjukka.com/YTasks.html has functionality to list all the processes, threads, and some internal information of the threads like - code size, (un)initilized data and such.

Is all this information obtained using public SDKs and the capabilities required during symbian signing can be obtained by a general developer ? or as Paul has mentioned only members of the launchpad program will be granted with "ALL" capability certificates in order for developing such a class of application ?

thanks so much :)

--Kris

Nokia Developer Moderator

All applications at my home page are done using public APIs, and usually the best place to find solutions in Forum Nokia Wiki, for process list, check this link: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...w_to_find_them

Also you could check the application capabilities I'm using, most of the applications are self-signed, so there is no real need to use extensive capabilities.