Discussion Board

RMS Capacity Solution Nokia 3500

I have an application that runs fine over a nokia 3500 device, it connects to a database on a server and gets some data to be saved on the rms files. I run a script on the database and now it has a lot of information when im tryng to get the data im having problems with the RMS files.

in the Emulator Series 40 5th edition, i run the midlet, everything was fine, i checked the rms files and these are about, 295kb, tha application ofuscated is about 56Kb.

my first idea was to set an Midlet-Data-Size with the required size about 400.000 bytes, whe i wanted to install de midlet it said me that the application was too big, i reduce some tomes the bytes, but it didnt helped.

after it, i thought to use the MicroSD memory, i used 512Mb Card. i downloaded again the application, without the Data size requirement, it was autmatically installed on the Device and when i moved it to the memory the application didnt start. Is there a way to make downloaded app get installed on the Card??. with this new problem then i installed the application directly to the Memory car throu Bluetooth. It run, but with the same problem of rms.

so i have some questions:

1. wich is the maximum size for rms files in this device?, is this limit valid even when the app is installed on the memory card?
    2. Can I set more memory to an especific application?
    3. Is there a way to make downloaded app get installed on the Card??
    4. how can i use the 512Mb of a memory card for the application RMS Files?

Thanks a lot!

Re: RMS Capacity Solution Nokia 3500

nobody knows???

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi osilvab,

some answers:

* you can get available space for your RecordStore by calling the getSizeAvailable() method
    * there's no way to increase total RMS space for any MIDlets
    * you cannot tell your MIDlet to use a specific drive (e.g.: external memory) to store your RMS files. What you can do, instead, is to use FileConnection API to store your data on device's filesystem, so avoiding RMS size limitations.

Hope it helps,
    Pit

Regular Contributor

Hi

for you question no 3, in s60 phones when you install the midlet it askes the whether to install it in phone memory/ memory card.

you can choose from there.

AFAIK in S40 it does not provide the above option.

Yes i realized that on S60, but anyways it looks like that the RMS limit applies too if the midlet is installed on the card