Discussion Board

Constrained by the certificate

I've seen a lot of posts on this, but haven't been able to solve my problem so far.

The application is working on an N95. I needed to run it on an E51 and so used the tool to add new IME number and got a new cer file from the website.

On installation the phone then came back with the 'Constrained by the certificate' message. I have checked the following according to other posts

1. SymbianA certificate is present on phone
    2. IME number matches what I have put into web site
    3. Date Time is correct and not in US format
    4. The latest sis file works on another phone so I assume this proves I am not using functions not available on the certificate.

My only uncertainty - I use GPS functions (as this is on the N95). They are not going to be used on the E51 (it doesn't have GPS), but the functionality is still in the program. Can this produce the message I am getting?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Constrained by the certificate

Quote Originally Posted by jameseasylog View Post
    The application is working on an N95. I needed to run it on an E51 and so used the tool to add new IME number and got a new cer file from the website.
    I am not sure how devcerts work now. However in the past multi-IMEI devcerts came with a .sis file, and it was necessary to install that .sis file onto the target devices.

Sorry - I didn't explain properly.

I'm using the open signed developer certificate request tool to create a certificate request file which I upload to the website and in turn I get back a certificate. I think this is what I'm meant to do...

Super Contributor

This means the IMEI of the device is not present in the list of IMEI's in the devcert the sis file or embedded sis file(s) were signed with.

Use AnalySIS (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=124128) to examine the certificates the sis file was signed with - double click on the "Certificates" edit box.

or DevCertList (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...s_in_a_DevCert) to verify the devcert has that IMEI in it.

A common problem is people not signing with the correct devcert or signing an already signed sis file (ie you should only sign the sis file with one devcert) or failure to sign an embedded sis file with the updated devcert
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Thanks Paul - I used both the utilities but they both came up with the correct IMEs. I'll try signing some modified sample programs and see what that gives me

Nokia Developer Moderator

Also check that you sing a sis that does not have any certificates in it already, some devices do care of all certificates used for signing the sis file, whereas some older firmwares did only care of the latest one added to the sis file.

Thanks for your help guys. I got there in the end, although I don't know how - I recreated the sis file again later and everything worked - I guess my own disorganisation was the biggest problem. Cheers for the utility information Paul. It will be very helpful in the future.