Discussion Board

Question Certificate issued by an unrecognized entity

Hi all,

I am trying to connect to a web service using https from a N95 8GB device,for this service I have created my own certificate which is of the type "Security domain: unidentified_third_party" . Every time I tried to access the service through https I get an exception: "javax.microedition.pki.CertificateException:Certificate was issued by an unrecognized entity". In the S60 emulator when it tries to access this service, a question is prompted: "This site has sent an untrusted certificate, continue anyway? " if continue is selected, everything goes fine. But when the Midlet is run from the phone, at anytime the web service is accessed from it, the previous exeception is thrown. Any idea of how to enable the certificate to be accepted by the device?. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

A) Use a certificate from an authority which is already known by your device. See the list of certificate authorities in your phone for this. For example I would go for VeriSign.
    B) Alternatively, install your certificate within your phone manually. That document is about S60 3rd Edition, however, the same worked with 2nd Edition and Series 40 since 3rd Edition for me. For older phones, have a search here at Forum Nokia about ‘WKPI’.
    C) No, unfortunately, I do not know any way to ship a certificate for Internet access within your MIDlet.
    D) No, simply accepting an un-trusted certificate does not help against Man-in-the-Middle scenarios.