Discussion Board

Thread: Web services

Web services

For those that are interested in serving Web services from the mobile device I have created a simple framework for publishing Web services.

The framework makes it easy to publish every PyS60 class as a Web service supporting both a SOAP and a JSON interface. The SOAP interface is very efficient when requests are made from a programing environment like Java, PHP, Python that has good support for Web services. Then WSDL descriptions published by the device can be used to create code stubs to interact with the services. On the other hand the JSON interface is very efficient when requests need to be made from Web system front ends (XHTML/CSS/JavaScript). The Web server on the mobile device then serves a JavaScript client stub that can be used to interact with the published services.

The SOAP interface is based on SOAPpy that I have ported to S60 and extended to serve requests through mod_python.

Including in the framework is a management interface that can be used to control the installed services, create users and grant them access to services.

Everything is based on top of the Nokia Mobile Web server. I have also created services that provide access to the device Calendar, Logs, MediaFiles and other functionality.

Since this was a school project I have also written a report on the design and usage of the framework (only SOAP interface though)

All information and downloads are available from http://www.mobile-ws.com

If anyone is interested and any further information needed just let me know.

Best regards,
    Magnus

Re: Web services

HI Margus,

would you able to deploy & run the web service on the real device.

We have create SOAP based web services which are running fine on the Nokia 6131NFC Emulator but are not running when we deployed it.

We are not getting any error message on the device and hence stuck with this problem.
    Phone device support JSR 172 API ..

If you know anything, let us know..
    Or is there any setting's needs to be change??

Thanks,
    Kushal Karanjkar
    k.karanjkar@gmail.com

Hi,

Yea I have tested my code on real devices N95, N95 8GB, and N73 and it works well. I have also tested with MWS version 1.2 and 1.4, not 1.5 though since I don't have a device at the moment.

You say that you are using JSR 172 API, last time I checked though it only supports requesting Web services but not serving them from the device. However since you say that you have your stuff working in an emulator I guess you either have solved that or just want to consume Web services.

I still though thank you would be better off using a more flexible library to serve Web services. For example SOAPpy (provided in my framework) or kSOAP, http://ksoap2.sourceforge.net/, and kXML.

Please explain your situation a little bit more and I will try to held you

Best regards,
    Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is resolved yesterday.

They did not mention anything about the advanced setting needed for accesing third party MIDlet through Http.

We have done some of those settings on real device and now its working perfectly fine on the device.

Thanks,
    Kushal

Quote Originally Posted by kushalkaranjkar View Post
    Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is resolved yesterday.

They did not mention anything about the advanced setting needed for accesing third party MIDlet through Http.

We have done some of those settings on real device and now its working perfectly fine on the device.

Thanks,
    Kushal
    Can you tell more about those advanced settings, I'm tryieng to implement KSOAP2 on N95

Those are advanced setting you download from nokia web site. Some Networking/Http settings.
    Please check nokia web site for product N95.