Discussion Board

"IVR" services over a 3G Video Call - phone issues

We are developing a portfolio of Visual IVR applications that operate across the 3G video call channel. We effectively present information visually and accept user input via DTMF key presses. In theory, these applications should behave exactly the same on all 3G video call capable phones and, by and large, they do but we have found 2 specific problems with Nokia devices that I’d like a view from Nokia on:

1) The E71 (that we have on loan) seems to present DTMF tones in a strange way. For each key press, we receive what looks like 2 tones. That is, the caller presses the ‘1’ key and our application sees ‘1’ followed by ‘1’. The E71 is the only devices that we have seen that exhibits this problem..

2) We just love the N95 for demos – the video out facility is superb. However, we have had sporadic problems of the applications seeming to lock-up on complex screens. This was impossible to recreate reliably until we identified that it seemed to always occur on 20.x firmware revisions. I’ve been advising our demoers to avoid this (11.x seems rock solid) but this obviously has a more serious impact on the general public.

Are you aware of these issues and how should be best interact with Nokia to address them?

Tom

Re: "IVR" services over a 3G Video Call - phone issues

We are experiencing the same issues, we have tried 2 different E71 handsets and see double DTMF digit input 450ms apart. The phone is not useable for interactive video calling in its current form.

Can you advise what video gateway you are using.

Greg

Yes, we can concur- E71 does send every keypress "twice". The way we've solved it so far is to ignore a second identical keypress if the time difference between the two is under the round trip time (around 1 sec).
    On a similar note - on the gateway we're using (Radvision) the Nokia phones send each DTMF after the other with a one second spacing between the signals. Hence, if you quickly type e.g. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, the Nokia will take 8 seconds to transmit the full sequence even though your typing was much quicker than this! We've seen that on some other gateways (don't know which ones) this does not happen - the Nokia sends two and even more characters per second. Anyone knows why? It may be the use of in band DTMF, but we don't know.

I've got this problem on my new E71 too.

It's obviously a software bug on the E71 as the DTMF is handled out of band with 3G-324M video, unlike a normal voice call where there is in band DTMF detection involved. With 324M a message is sent on the H.245 data channel that is established as part of the video call.

well i am working on the same project too but i started 1 week ago so i wanna ask some quetions
    1) how do you genrate menus by sending stream of images or what
    2) you built aweb server to respond to the mobile user input ?
    iam working on amobile vedio banking so i need to send amenu to the user via the vedio call then take his inputs and respond back by another menu according to his input
    can you help me ??
    thank you for your time