Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Red face strange problem in 2nd sign

hi every one,
    my old certificate file had expired so I bought a new one,but it can not make sis file in 2nd edition,it showed
    error: cannot open file, check file name and access rights ,but it works on 3rd edition well.and if I use the old one to make the sis file, it is ok again.
    so I think there must be something wrong about the certificate file.who can tell me why and how to resolve?
    thank you very much

Re: strange problem in 2nd sign

Hi,
    What do you mean by 2nd edition are you talking about 3.2? Because from your query I am getting a feeling that you are talking about signing your app for S60 2nd edition which is not required. Signing is required from 3rd edition onwards. I may be wrong in my understanding of your problem, please correct me.
    Maximus
    S60 Developer
    Impossible is nothing

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by yogpan View Post
    Hi,
    What do you mean by 2nd edition are you talking about 3.2? Because from your query I am getting a feeling that you are talking about signing your app for S60 2nd edition which is not required. Signing is required from 3rd edition onwards. I may be wrong in my understanding of your problem, please correct me.
    yes, I mean sign for 2nd edition,I know it is not necessary to sign on symbian s60 2nd, but my enterprise required.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    Because from your query I am getting a feeling that you are talking about signing your app for S60 2nd edition which is not required. Signing is required from 3rd edition onwards. I may be wrong in my understanding ....., please correct me.
    Let me correct you. Signing process existed in S60 2nd edition too. But it was not mandatory though. Notice that if you install unsinged application on S60 2nd edition phones then you will see warnings which are not nice as usual. And to make it more reliable and acceptable in mass market, Symbian signed was already there in S60 2nd edition.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Hi,
    Its not a question of whether it is necessary or not.There is no concept of signing your application for 2nd Edition,
    From S60 3rd Edition, which is based on Symbian OS 9, a user can install only signed applications.
    But this has nowhere to related to 2nd edition, you can mention to your enterprise there is no requirement to sign sis for 2nd edition.

PS: That is some information coming to me from Kiran I was not aware of this fact Thanks for bringing this into my notice . BTW it is still valid that you need not sign the sis at all in 2nd edition.
    Maximus
    S60 Developer
    Impossible is nothing

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by juniorhope View Post
    yes, I mean sign for 2nd edition,I know it is not necessary to sign on symbian s60 2nd, but my enterprise required.
    I guess you are talking about TC TrustCenter Publisher ID with S60 2nd edition. And it is supported for S60 2nd edition without any problem. Please have a look into this thread: http://developer.symbian.com/forum/ann.jspa?annID=54

Also a little bit more searching on SymbianSigned forum will help you in overcoming your problem. You can also ask there for Symbian Signed problems.

Nokia Developer Champion

BTW it is still valid that you need not sign the sis at all in 2nd edition.
    It matters on Enterprise level. And sometimes on individual level too. See below:

Quote Originally Posted by juniorhope View Post