Discussion Board

load java card applet using MIDlet

Hi,

I would like to learn how to load a java card applet using a MIDlet on Nokia 6131 NFC?

I try to develop a mobile framework system which can extend its supported java card applets by downloading and installing the .cab file of the new applet from a server or any other workaround solutions?

Thanks in advance

Re: load java card applet using MIDlet

hi,

that's not to difficult. You just have to implemenat all the APDU Commands for loading the CAP file in your midlet. It's more or less a "copy-and-paste" szenario from the java-card shell commands (apdus).

just load an app to your card. copy the apdus to the midlet code using llaaarrrrrggggeeeee bytes arrays and the use the exchangeAPDU to send them to the card. that's it.

cheers, geri-m

Thank you very much for your reply geri-m.
    However I use GPShell to load a java card applet to the phone, therefore, I don't know the actual APDU commands. Is there a way to generate that APDUs. Or that APDUs are the byte codes that are printed out to the console by the GPShell when it load the applet?

And also do I need to copy the cap file to phone? Or that large APDUs will be enough to load the applet?

Regards, Ismail.

hi ismail,

well, I don't use gpshell, thus I can't says in detail. But I suppose, the bytes you see on the screen are the ADPUs to send to the card.

YOu don't need the cap file on the phone, as the apdus already are the information for loading the cap to the smartcard chip.

Sirett et al. descibe that way in one of their publication "Design, Installation \& Execution of a Security Agent for Mobile Stations"

cheers, geri-m

Thank you very much geri-m,
    If this is the case I can find out the rest. Everything is clear in my mind now. Thanks again for your quick help.

Regards,
    Ismail.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hm... Wouldn't it be cool if someone built a small midlet which you could just compile and install and it would send the necessary APDUs? You could just put the cap file in a particular directory when compiling, and it would be automatically be included as a resource, and then you could just get a link to it via Class.getResourceAsStream()...

*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*