Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How and where to start

Hi every one,

I am really new to Symbian SDK and after getting fed up from going any where I though to ask the expert.
    I download and install the all-in-one S60 SDKs and it seem the installation was successful because it was error free.
    I don't know where to start from here. I mean where can I type in the code, compile and test it.
    I even downloaded the SMS example but I don't know how to use the DSK.
    Many thanks for the help.

Rabmerab

Super Contributor

Re: How and where to start

-------------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Ram
    Symbian OS 9.2/9.3,S60 3rd FP1/FP2,Carbide.c++v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by RB_Sahu View Post
    Thanks Ram,

I tried to follow the help but I got lost because he was talking about SDK 60 3rd edition and the one I installed is the SDK 5.
    Am I started by a difficult one and I have to start by the 3rd edition, please can you send me the link and quick help about the step to follow.
    I still thinking about creating an application in Visual C++ environment. Is there any analogy to Symbian.
    Thanks.

rabmerab

Super Contributor

Series 60 3rd edition is available in following link.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html

Series 60 5th edition is latest new edition. So it will be good to start from 3rd edition. Otherwise you can select SDK version according to your requirement.
    Thanks & Regards
    Ram

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rabmerab View Post
    I tried to follow the help but I got lost because he was talking about SDK 60 3rd edition and the one I installed is the SDK 5.
    It solely depends on your requirements. First of all decide about the phone family you are targeting. Do you have S60 5th Edition phone? Do you have S60 3rd edition phone?

Am I started by a difficult one and I have to start by the 3rd edition, please can you send me the link and quick help about the step to follow.
    No. Thing is that S60 5th edition SDK has just come out and people have been using S60 3rd edition SDKs so far for Symbian OS v9.x. I would suggest you to pick one device(most probably based/available on S60 3rd edition) and pick corresponding SDK. You can find out about about device specification and development environment on this link: http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/matrix_all_1.html

I still thinking about creating an application in Visual C++ environment. Is there any analogy to Symbian.
    Thanks.
    rabmerab
    You can develop your application on MS Visual Studio with Carbide.vs plugin. Otherwise you can use stand alone Carbide.c++ IDE for Symbian C++ programming.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Super Contributor

This link must be helpful to you.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...uickstart.html
    Thanks & Regards
    Ram

Smile Re: How and where to start

Series 60 3rd edition is available in following link.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html

Series 60 5th edition is latest new edition. So it will be good to start from 3rd edition. Otherwise you can select SDK version according to your requirement.
    Thanks again for the quick reply.
    I am installing the 3rd edition and I will try it and come back here tomorrow to let you know if it has been a success.
    I am here to learn as I haven’t specific requirement and I love programming.

Rabmerab

Hi Ram and Kiran,

I downloaded and install the following:

ActivePerl 5.6.1.635 : installation no problem

Symbian S60 3rd series : installation no problem.

Carbide.c++ V1.3: installation no problem

Is it necessary to install also UIQ SDK from http://developer.uiq.com ?

I still don’t know how to use the whole thing even when I tried the tutorial because when I was following the Hello word example, what I did get is deferent from what it was said in the tutorial like the list of subfolder in the project explorer is deferent from the tutorial.

I got only the subfolder “ Includes, data, inc, src, group, sis” and in the tutorial they got that plus other folder before the “Include” folder.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

I tried to import application from the installation folder but even that is deferent from the tutorial.
    Can you tell me what wrong with my installation or it is possible to make a video demonstration on you tube. I will really appreciate it.
    Thanks

rabmerab

Super Contributor

Hi Ram and Kiran,

I downloaded and install the following:

ActivePerl 5.6.1.635 : installation no problem

Symbian S60 3rd series : installation no problem.

Carbide.c++ V1.3: installation no problem

I still don’t know how to use the whole thing even when I tried the tutorial because when I was following the Hello word example, what I did get is deferent from what it was said in the tutorial like the list of subfolder in the project explorer is deferent from the tutorial.

I got only the subfolder “ Includes, data, inc, src, group, sis” and in the tutorial they got that plus other folder before the “Include” folder.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

I tried to import application from the installation folder but even that is deferent from the tutorial.
    Can you tell me what wrong with my installation or it is possible to make a video demonstration on you tube. I will really appreciate it.
    Thanks

rabmerab
    yes, it is necessary to install UIQ SDK for UIQ application development.
    you can start from helloworld basic example.
    you can import .mif file from carbide.c++
    Thanks & Regards
    Ram

you can also find complete set of instructions that how to configure your PC for Symbian development
    "http://www.newlc.com/configure-your-pc-symbian-development"

Nokia Developer Champion

Can you tell me what wrong with my installation ...
    You do not need to install UIQ SDK if you are not planning to develop on UIQ based phones. S60 SDK will do good for phones based on S60.

Now what you need to do is create a simple "HelloWold" type of GUI application from Carbide.c++ IDE.

• Open your Carbide.c++ IDE
    • File -> New -> Symbian OS C++ Project -> S60 3rd edition -> 3rd-Future Ed. GUI Application and follow the rest
    • Project -> Build Project ( Make sure that it Emulator DEBUG is set active from Project -> Build Configuration -> Set Active
    • On console view, you will find ongoing flow of your building process. At last your goal is to see "Build complete". ;)
    • If you see something else, say Errors then please post them here so that we can investigate more about it.
    • Finally after successfully building, Run-> Run. (or press Ctrl + F11). Consequently Emulator will launch.
    • You should be able to see your application in Emulator under Installation->your application name Please open it and play with it for couple of minutes.
    • To install it on real phone, change build configuration to PHONE RELEASE (GCCE) as shown above and build your project again.
    • It will generate self-signed .sisx under sis folder. Just install it on real phone and see the magic. :)

PS: Please check this screencast, it will help you with some visual representation. Getting Started with Cartbide.c++

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    You do not need to install UIQ SDK if you are not planning to develop on UIQ based phones. S60 SDK will do good for phones based on S60.

Now what you need to do is create a simple "HelloWold" type of GUI application from Carbide.c++ IDE.

• Open your Carbide.c++ IDE
    • File -> New -> Symbian OS C++ Project -> S60 3rd edition -> 3rd-Future Ed. GUI Application and follow the rest
    • Project -> Build Project ( Make sure that it Emulator DEBUG is set active from Project -> Build Configuration -> Set Active
    • On console view, you will find ongoing flow of your building process. At last your goal is to see "Build complete". ;)
    • If you see something else, say Errors then please post them here so that we can investigate more about it.
    • Finally after successfully building, Run-> Run. (or press Ctrl + F11). Consequently Emulator will launch.
    • You should be able to see your application in Emulator under Installation->your application name Please open it and play with it for couple of minutes.
    • To install it on real phone, change build configuration to PHONE RELEASE (GCCE) as shown above and build your project again.
    • It will generate self-signed .sisx under sis folder. Just install it on real phone and see the magic. :)

PS: Please check this screencast, it will help you with some visual representation. Getting Started with Cartbide.c++

I hope this helps.

Thanks Kiran for the help.
    I think I did manage to get the Hello example running because it did show on the emulator's display.

Now, I want to create an application which simply send a copy of a recived/ sent message to pr-programmed phone number.
    Whare do you think, I can found which function to use and how to use them.
    To tell you the truth, the SDK help is bit complicated.
    Thanks in advance.
    rabmerab

Super Contributor

Thanks & Regards
    Ram

Nokia Developer Champion

To tell you the truth, the SDK help is bit complicated.
    It is not complicated but you need to know what do need. ;)

Anyways Wiki is nice place for this. First find out appropriate article from the category given by Ram. Make sure that you select article under Symbian c++ technology. Once you locate good article then for detail API description use SDK help search box.

Thanks for the link about SMS link.

I want to try and see how that’s work so I choose this example at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Create_Local_SMS

I create a new project called ReadMySms from the menu as follow:
    File -> New-> Symbian oc c++ project

Then I choose 3rd-Future Ed. GUI application then pressed Next
    I named the project ReadMySms then Pressed Next
    I choose S60_3rd_FP1 then pressed Next
    Next again
    And Finish

I want to add the code from the above link but I don’t know where to put it.
    In the src folder I got 05 cpp files which are :
    ReadMySms.cpp, ReadMySmsApplication.cpp, ReadMySmsAppUI.cpp, ReadMySmsAppView.cpp and ReadMySmsDocument.cpp.

So in which file I can add the code or what the meaning of each folder.

Thanks million

rabmerab