Discussion Board

Thread: WPA on N96??

WPA on N96??

Hello,

I'm having difficulties getting my N96 to speak with my wireless router. It connects but it just hangs and on other applications I get the no gateway message. I googled it and came across someone mentioning the N96 doesn't take to WPA configuration and the bloke who suffered this reverted to WEP which solved it.

Is this a known problem or limitation? if so will a future software update address this? I'm on a branded Orange phone currently on V10.*, the provider is yet to release an update.

Thanks

Re: WPA on N96??

I've been reading up on a lot of issues with the N96. I today managed to access my university wireless service that uses WPA and EAP settings, and also did so on my friend's N96.

There is clearly a bug in that when I went into settings: connection: destinations: (the wlan access point): wlan secuirty settings: EAP plug in settings: EAP-PEAP: EAPs: EAP-MSCHAPv2: promopt password set to no, and you write in your password, it only saves 4 or 5 characters of the password you write in, same applies to my friend's N96.

I now have to write my password in manually by setting prompt password to yes.

And now the authentication fails so I can't even connect anymore.

This is a more advanced setting however, but a lot of people I know are having trouble with the WLAN in general on the N96.

Lol I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my own problem, but does anyone know what the issue is with my password problem or the thread starters problem?

I'm hoping WLAN issues in general will be addressed with a firmware update. (Are Nokia actually aware of these problems and going to address them?)

Re: WPA on N96??

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorKabir View Post
    There is clearly a bug in that when I went into settings: connection: destinations: (the wlan access point): wlan secuirty settings: EAP plug in settings: EAP-PEAP: EAPs: EAP-MSCHAPv2: promopt password set to no, and you write in your password, it only saves 4 or 5 characters of the password you write in, same applies to my friend's N96.
    A bit of topic perhaps but I wouldn't automatically assume that the MSCHAPv2 password saving behavior you described above is a bug and actual root cause for any of the PEAP authentication problems.

All Nokia phones I've used so far with PEAP/EAP-MSCHAPv2 (E70,N95 and E71) have been successfully saving long EAP-MSCHAPv2 passwords in to the IAP settings regardless of the fact that after you have written and stored the long password configuration UI shows only six star characters (******) in place of the plaintext password.

At least based on my experiences (although not N96) this might just be a feature of the UI since it always shows those six star characters regardless of actual length of the successfully stored password.