Discussion Board

Question Help with Nokia 6131 SDK plugin for Eclipse

Hi All,

I am new to NFC and Eclipse. I'm trying to get my environment up and running and I've hit a few snags that I hope someone here will help me out with.

I've downloaded and installed the following (in order):
    jdk-1_5_0_15-windows-i586-p.exe (Note that I had the more recent v6 update 7 and uninstalled this for the 1.5)
    Eclipse 3.4.1
    EclipseME 1.7.9
    Nokia_6131_NFC_SDK_1_1 (Installed Eclipse plugin)

From reading documentation and posts on the Nokia sites, my understanding is that EclipseME has made carbide.j unecessary. Is this correct?

At any rate the EclipseME plugin seems to be functioning well. However I am hitting errors in the app with the Nokia plugin.

1. When I attempt to open preferences for the Nokia plugin I get an error message popup with "Could not accept changes" in the title. The message says, "The currently displayed page contains invalid values."

My searches have found some references to this error, but they don't seem to relate to my problem in any way I can see. Then again I am new. Any idea what this error indicates?

2. I am able to compile midlets and the sample projects in Eclipse, and launch the 6131 emulator in both run and debug modes. However if I press anything (like select) in the emulator it terminates and I get the following output:

WARNING: JAR file doesn't define required attribute MIDlet-Name
    Emulator command: C:\Nokia\Devices\Nokia_6131_NFC_SDK_1_1\bin\midp.exe -Xdescriptor "C:\Documents and Settings\aaron.hansen\Local Settings\Temp\ueiemulator11923.tmp\Emulator.jad"
    ALERT: java/lang/VerifyError: com/nokia/phone/sdk/Emulator.

I've seen posts that this is related to preverification? I have no clue, and this is what leads me back to the first problem. When I try to go into the preferences for the project and look at the Nokia SDK plugin prefs I get the first error.

Please help! I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Please let me know if I've omitted anything that might help in determining the problem here.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron Hansen
    would be NFC developer

Re: Help with Nokia 6131 SDK plugin for Eclipse -- Update

OK, I was looking over the list I installed and realized the wireless toolkit was not in that list! I've just installed v 2.5.2 of the Sun Java wireless toolkit. Do I need to set anything in Eclipse? I haven't found anything in the docs in reference to this, so I'm not sure.

At any rate it had no affect on the behavior I described in my previous post. I am still having the same problems. Although I noticed I can launch the SimpleNDEFExample midlet just fine from the Start menu.

I know my problem is related to the initial warning that the midlet has no name, but I can't figure out what to do about it.

Thanks,

Aaron

Re: Help with Nokia 6131 SDK plugin for Eclipse

Welcome to the world of "version x of plugin A only works with version y of plugin B which is only works with version z of plugin C which is incompatible with version x of plugin A". Once I find a combination that works, I keep it forever!

Anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.hansen View Post

I've downloaded and installed the following (in order):
    jdk-1_5_0_15-windows-i586-p.exe (Note that I had the more recent v6 update 7 and uninstalled this for the 1.5)

Eclipse 3.4.1
    EclipseME 1.7.9
    Nokia_6131_NFC_SDK_1_1 (Installed Eclipse plugin)
    Not sure why you downgraded your JDK.
    This is what works for me:
    JDK 6u7, Eclipse 3.2.2, EclipseME 1.7.9, WTK 2.5.2

From reading documentation and posts on the Nokia sites, my understanding is that EclipseME has made carbide.j unecessary. Is this correct?
    Yes that's correct. You need Nokia PC Suite to deploy to a Nokia phone though.

1. When I attempt to open preferences for the Nokia plugin I get an error message popup with "Could not accept changes" in the title. The message says, "The currently displayed page contains invalid values."
    Yeah well when I was using Carbide.j I had the "invalid values" and that was mysteriously cured by switching from Java 1.5 to 1.6.
    Note that this was with Carbide.j, so not sure if that would help you, but you might give it a try.

If that doesn't work then maybe try changing your Eclipse version.

2. I am able to compile midlets and the sample projects in Eclipse, and launch the 6131 emulator in both run and debug modes. However if I press anything (like select) in the emulator it terminates and I get the following output:

WARNING: JAR file doesn't define required attribute MIDlet-Name
    Emulator command: C:\Nokia\Devices\Nokia_6131_NFC_SDK_1_1\bin\midp.exe -Xdescriptor "C:\Documents and Settings\aaron.hansen\Local Settings\Temp\ueiemulator11923.tmp\Emulator.jad"
    ALERT: java/lang/VerifyError: com/nokia/phone/sdk/Emulator.
    Sounds like you haven't edited your jad file.
    Open it, you get the special jad file editor, you have
    to fill in the required fields, and then at the bottom go to Midlets tab and fill in your midlet class; this is easy to miss (I know I did!)

Oh and another thing that's easy to miss: for some reason the debugger defaults to "over the air", you need to select the "midlet" option.

HTH, Good luck

Thanks for the help olan75! I hear you on figuring out a combo that works. That's why I asked. There were just too many possibilities to try them all.

For the record the Nokia 6131 SDK v1.1 is not compatible with the latest version of Eclipse (3.4.1). That was the problem I was encountering with prefs. The lastest version of Eclipse I've tried that works is 3.2.2.

I only went with the 1.5 JDK because the Nokia SDK docs stated they worked with that version, and the release notes said JDK v6 causes problems. One thing I did encounter before downgrading to 1.5 is that the Nokia SDK will fail to uninstall if JDK v6 is installed.

That last tip fixed me up on running the sample apps. Thanks again olan!

-Aaron

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by olan75 View Post
    You need Nokia PC Suite to deploy to a Nokia phone though.
    To be precise, you can also deploy by sending the JAR file over to the phone via Bluetooth. I use this method all the time with my Mac...