Discussion Board

Thread: Sprites in J2ME

Sprites in J2ME

Hi,

What is the recommended way to do sprites in J2ME? Is there a proper sprite class, or do I need to paint down graphics, recording what was behind it so I can paint it back down when the sprite moves.

Thanks for any help

Moray

Regular Contributor

RE: Sprites in J2ME

mugent,

there is no Sprite class in J2ME. However, you can create similar things by yourself by either writing a Sprite class of your own (with methods for collision detection and so on) and use transparent images. Of course, Sprite class is not a necessity.

Kind regards,
    Tinke / FN
    DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy

Hi.
    Check out the post http://nkn.forum.nokia.com/devrel/threadshow.cfm?mb=3665071750056882&msg=35924432719&page=5 on this forum about sprite management issue. You should find useful informations on how you can do that on standard MIDP devices and/or Nokia ones.

Hope this helps
    regards

davide
    <AtomicTag.com/>

Hi Moray,

There's plenty of info on Double Buffering in most MIDP documentation, so you shouldn't have trouble finding out what to do. Basically the principle is that all painting is done to an off screen buffer (ordered from background -> foreground) before painting to the display.

Incidently, there is a Sprite class and other useful game classes included in the MIDP 2.0 specification. The beta toolkit is already available from Sun.

ross