Discussion Board

Game.. memory full error message on V 4.39 and works fine on V 3.16

HI there

I have design a game for Nokia 7650... my client is telling me that the game is working fine on the version 3.16 and its not working fine on 4.39. There is enough space on 4.39 about 2869kb free memory. here is what is my client is telling me

game starts up with white background and characters are not displayed properly and then game will give message memory full

i am using the Nokia Developer's Suite for the Java(TM) 2 Platform, Micro Edition with SUN ONE STUDIO 4 ME and using the Series 60 Simulator to test the game.

I am using Nokia sound API's in this game.

Also i am using a lot of graphics files in the game i think the collective size of all of them is about 300KB.

pls give me suggestion what should i do to avoid this error message on all versions

Shahzad Aslam

Regular Contributor

RE: Game.. memory full error message on V 4.39 and works fine on V 3.16

Shahzad,

are you using getGraphics() method extensively? This has been a hot topic for the recent times and some solutions have been found already. Please, check resolution #15582 on Knowledge Base for additional information.

Kind regards,
    Tinke / FN
    DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy

RE: Game.. memory full error message on V 4.39 and works fine on V 3.16

has someone access to this resolution?

thanx

lnx

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Forum/Com...Y1MCUyRXBkZg==

I've the same problem and can't found the solution. I don't use getGraphics extensively...

Hi,

I'm using Double-Buffering to split and draw my data in Canvas. Every image is treated as a page and they will be navigated(change from page1 to page2) by the joystick. That's why my program has to create more than one Image(s), and the image.getGraphics() will be invoked more than one times in order to draw text/png. The "Full Memory" must be appeared after I navigate the pages 20+ times.

Be frank, I'm not sure it's wether the issue.. Because of I'm using Sun Wireless Toolkit 2.0 to monitor the memory, it shows me the byte[]/char[] aren't clear after calling the paint(). But those resource are private data, and they should be clear after the paint() is dismissed. But according to all of you, I think calling more than one getGraphics() is another issue.

Please give me some comments. Thanks.

My 7650 version :
    v4.46

Regards,
    chai.

Please read :
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...full+memory%2A

//***
    PROBLEM: A MIDlet that worked well with the Nokia 7650 v3.12 doesn’t work with newer versions of
    the Nokia 7650 (v.4.39) or Nokia 3650.

SYMPTOMS: Generally, this problem may result in very weird, seemingly unrelated effects, such as
    “Memory full” notes, clipping problems, color and transparency problems, etc.

REASON: In v3.12, the Image.getGraphics() method returned a reference to the SAME Graphics
    object, instead of creating a new one every time, thus violating the MIDP 1.0 specification:
    //***

According to this forum/doc: " Known Memory Issues with the Nokia 7650"(http://www.forum.nokia.com/Forum/Com...Cbr%20/%3EZg==), we can know that different model has different ways to implement the MIDP spec. How can we know what's the differences among them ?

Thanks.

Regards,
    chai.