Discussion Board

[moved] Capability Scanner problem on Vista with Carbide 1.3

The Carbide 1.3 capability scanner always fails towards the end of the process. I discussed this problem with some Carbide guys at the SmartPhone show in London and they asked me to check what files were installed in the capabilitues directory. Their installation had three:-

GT_9.3.xml
    GT_9.4.xml
    and a mapping file.

My installation only has one file - GT_9.3.xml

It was suggested that if I did not have these files, I should try to get hold of them before raising a bug report.

So can someone help me get a copy of the two files I am missing please? I suspect the mapping file is the more important of the two. The SDK I am using is S60_3rd_FP2_SDL_v1.1

Thanks
    David Blythman

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] Capability Scanner problem on Vista with Carbide 1.3

The S60 3rd Edition FP2 SDK is built on top of Symbian OS 9.3 so you should not expect to have a GT_9.4.xml as that would be the file holding the content for the Symbian 9.4 release.

According to plug-in's documentation one or more GT*.xml file(s) located under %EPOCROOT%epoc32\data\capabilities provide the capability information that the tool uses to extract the subset of capabilities required by your project.

The latest version of these files are delivered with Carbide.c++'s updates so please locate the com.nokia.carbide.capabilityScanner_1.3.1.036.jar plug-in, rename it as *.ZIP and from it extract the two GT*.xml files located under .\files\S60_3rd_FP2 with the obvious destionation being %EPOCROOT%epoc32\data\capabilities. Then rename te plug-in back to *.jar and start Carbide.c++

I do not expect that the absence of one of this file would explain why the tool crashes but you may want to try it still, as the Carbide.c++ developers have suggested to you.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for the reply and apologies for posting in the wrong section.

I have located the jar file for the capability scanner plugin. It looks like I have version 1.3.0.024. I have extracted the file GT_S603rd_FP2.xml from this file and copied it to the location you indicated.

Running the capability scanner again, everything is fine until the point at which it is trying to create the "projectRequiredCapabilitiesList" xml file. The report states:
    ERROR: The file <workspace path>\.metadata\.plugins\com.nokia.carbide.capabilityScanner\projectRequiredCapabilitiesListxml could not be created.

The process continues with
    "Updating project markers...
    Updating Platform Security View...
    Analysing results...
    ERROR:

From here on, all the error reports relate to an inability to parse the file: <projectName>.projectRequiredCapabilitiesList.xml

A file of this name exists in the directory but it is 0 bytes long. I note that the filename in the initial error report does not include the <projectName>.

Have you any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Thanks
    David Blythman

I'd suggest you try moving/renaming the zero byte file - it might just have been left behind by another run of the tool and be preventing a new version being created.

Sorcery

Nokia Developer Moderator

1.3.1.036 in the post above is a link to a blog post that shows you the latest Carbide.c++ version available.

As said before, this is unlikely to be related to the data files, it is some strange Vista specific issue that prevents the creation of the <workspace path>\.metadata\.plugins\com.nokia.carbide.capabilityScanner\projectRequiredCapabilitiesListxml .Btw., what is the <workspace path> standing for on your system?

I would say that the best way to go ahead with this is to create a bug report in Carbide's Buzgilla.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for the replies.

Cleaning out the workspace directory before starting the scanner doesn't change anything. It still ends up with a 0 byte length file with an uptodate timestamp.

<workspace path> was my shorthand for "my long and boring workspace path goes here". The value for it in this case is:-

"C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace"

For my next attempt, I will fetch the latest version of Carbide as referenced in the blog entry you have kindly highlighted.

If it still fails, I will log a bug.

Thanks
    David Blythman