Discussion Board

Error when trying to run the HelloWorld example

Hello,

I tried the Series 60 SKD 1.0 for Symbian OS, Nokia edition

I instaled the Series 60 SKD on Windows XP and then,

I tryed to run a HelloWorld example for Symbian OS v6.1 as it was describued in the Series 60 SKD for Symbian OS Documentation.

I instaled the Series 60 SKD in the c:\Symbian\Series60

I went to the c:\Symbian\Series60\epoc32ex\HelloWorld

and in the command prompt typed: bldmake bldfiles and then makefile vc6. After the second command I got the Next error:

nmake -nologo -f "Symbian\Series60\Epoc32\Build\Symbian\Series60\Epoc32ex\HelloWorld\vc6.make" makefile verbose=-s
    'nmake' is not recognised as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Can you help me!

Mitja

Regular Contributor

RE: Error when trying to run the HelloWorld example

Hi,

You need to set your environment path properly,problem occurs when environment variables are not properly set in the shell where you try to use the tools and that's why the shell can't find nmake command. It is located for example in directory
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin".
    Directory can be different depending where you have installed your software. Normally the environment variables are set automatically during the install.
    You can check your environment variables by typing "set". Your PATH should contain at least following paths:
    PATH=C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\gcc\bin;C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;
    In addition you should have EPOCROOT set like:
    EPOCROOT=\Symbian\6.1\Series60
    In shell, you can set manually the variables by typing:
    set PATH=C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\gcc\bin;C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;%PATH%
    set EPOCROOT=\Symbian\6.1\Series60
    You can set them also globally for your Windows from "Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment variables".

Ravi

Regular Contributor

RE: Error when trying to run the HelloWorld example

The next problem you will find is that the HelloWorld example does not work properly. Instead of compiling the example found in
    .....\Series60\Epoc32Ex\HelloWorld
    use the one in
    ......\Series60\Series60Ex\HelloWorld
    It's much better.