Discussion Board

SIS installation with WGZ included

Hello guys!

I just want to know if is possible to build SIS installation file which include WRT - wgz.

I want to make installation procedure like that:

1. run sis file on mobile phone ( e.g Nokia N95 )
    2. it installs some server written in smybian c++ which runs in background.
    3. run/install wgz package - Widget (wgz file located in sis file).
    4. Only widgets icon is shown on Applications menu.

How can i do that? Is possbile?

Thank you very much for any hint.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SIS installation with WGZ included

Nope, but you could try haing the wgz inside a SIS file.

Anyway, how did you think on implementing the running of the server, as well as communications between the widget & server ?

I just want that symbian c++ application will run in bg ( when starting widget ) and produce some information to widget..

Widget will hit url ( localhost ) and retrieve information from server..

I just want to write installation procedure which will install all in once ;) .. So.. that users just run sis and everythink is installed.

What you ask for is possible but not very easy. The reason is that only one installer can be running at any given time which means you cannot have the widget installer running while the sis installer is in progress.

The workaround is that you use an install time utility which will be automatically started by the SIS installation (to do this the SIS must be certified) and then runs in the background waiting for the SIS installation to completed. At this time it launches the installation of the widget, which has been copied by the installer at a convenient location on the disk.

Code:
    "winstaller.exe" - "!:\sys\bin\winstaller.exe", FR, RI
    "symbian_server.exe" - "!:\sys\bin\symbian_server.exe"
    ;... other files here
    "widget.wgz" - "d:\widget.wgz"
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Itomuta:

Thanx! Very good idea!

But.. problem is that i don't have a lot of experience in development for symbina OS.

So.. can u give me a hint how do i implement your suggestion:

"The workaround is that you use an install time utility which will be automatically started by the SIS installation (to do this the SIS must be certified) and then runs in the background waiting for the SIS installation to completed."

How can i run install time utility during installation and how to get notified when installation is finished??

i'll be gratefull for any help.

By the way.. can u suggest me a good book for symbian c++ development? I made decision to buy a book ;)

Thenx again.

I was looking for a solution to the same problem and so to help others who also find this post, check out the following page. It provides some useful information and an example project to help get you started:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...sing_sis_files

I have a symbian 3 Qt application, I want to package the SIS file with a WRT widget (wgz). Is there anyway through which we can create a single installation package for both the installations ?

Qt applications are deployed via standard .sis/x files, so the method referred in #6 should work for them too. The extra lines can be added via the .pro file as I remember, check the Qt documentation and boards for the details.

I followed the process, but it doesn't work for me. The build commands don't work. The command prompt does not recognize the 'abld' command.
    I have Symbian 3 SDK installed. Can u tell me the alternate commands or some other way to build the sis file?

Thanks

You should use the Qt SDK 1.1.x with its Symbian^3 based target if so neded, if you intend to develop Qt applications. The Symbian "platform" SDKs are for advanced users, they respond to special needs (use of more powerfull Symbian APIs) but have special requirements, including knowledge of toolchain and toolchain evolution (change from abld to sbs for example).

However, why do you need abld in order to integrate a widget in a SIS file? Presumably you have the Qt application built already and have also a valid reason to add an additional file to the package (I can't really imagine why, but that's your problem). So, a like added to the *.pro file will solve your problem:

Code:
    DEPLOYMENT.pkg_postrules += "\"path\\to\\widget\\widget.wgz\" - \"path\\where\\file\\is\\copied\\widget.wgz\""
    Call qmake on the *.pro file and the result will be that you get a *_template.pkg file which has the desired addition:

Code:
    "path\to\widget\widget.wgz" - "path\where\file\is\copied\widget.wgz"
    Now a call to makesis on that *_template.pkg or calling build/run from the IDE will generage the SIS file with the intended content.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks Itomuta for the detailed reply.

However, I suspect the method you described will only copy the wgz file to the path specified. My goal is to create a single 'sis' installer for OVI submission, which will in turn install 2 applications :

1. Qt Symbian 3 SIS application
    2. WGZ (wrt widget)

Is there any way to achieve the above task ?

Thanks,

The installer has to be run in order for it to install the widget on device, but there can be only one instance of the installer running and that instance is at the time busy processing the SIS file. This means that from the SIS file itself you cannot trigger the installation of the wdget (or of a java app, whatever is embedded). The wiki has a solution (installing a java app IIRC) which is using a silent installer utility. Alternatively you can simply open the widget application from your Qt application (DesktopServices might do it) and let the installer start and do its job.

Regardles, there are two issues here: how to put the widget in the package (easy, as above) and what to do with it post-install (also easy, but requires some coding). Since you are already able to build a Qt application, you need not change your ways of working, just add more code to your application or a new dedicated module to perform the installation. If abld does not work, don't use it.
    -- Lucian

So, there the automatic installation of a wgz widget is not possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by azfar_siddiqui View Post
    So, there the automatic installation of a wgz widget is not possible ?
    No, you have to "automate" it yourself.
    -- Lucian

Ok, but how can we automate it ?