Discussion Board

Question Cell IDs by cell phones

Hello all,
    Is there any chance that the cell phone may have information about ALL the cell ids that it can sense. I know that I can get the cell id of the tower I'm connected to, but can I get the cell ids of other cell towers in my area???

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Cell IDs by cell phones

you could use the search box provided, and find out from the older threads that it is rather impossible to be done.

Question Re: Cell IDs by cell phones

I was searching now and found some application called netmonitor or something. I installed it and it gives information about neighboring cells. What is that then?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Which device's does that work in ?

Super Contributor

Nokia has not published any APIs to get such information. There may be software that can show such information (like the aforementioned "Netmonitor"), but the software is not freely available via any legal means except when provide by Nokia (usually to network operators), and even then as preinstalled on specific devices (no APIs for indepdendent software developers).

Any internet sites you can find distributing such Nokia software, are distributing it without permission by Nokia (doesn't matter legally if they got it from someplace else, who got it from a friend of a friend or "found" it, etc.).

So, until Nokia decides to publish APIs to get such information (in which case they're in published SDKs or available through partnering with Nokia), you either have to figure it out yourself, suppress your moral compass and resort to illegally distributed software, or live without the feature.

Question Re: Cell IDs by cell phones

Well, actually it didn't give me the cell ids, but information about the neighboring cells like their channels. It was something like this:
    Serving cell info
    CH: C1: RX: C2:
    56 38 -61 38
    1. Neighbor info
    60 32 -66 32
    2. Neighbor info
    54 29 -77 10

What are the C1, RX, and C2?
    I'm sorry for the disturbance, but there is a project I'm working on that is based on retrieving such information.