Discussion Board

Anyway to call on nokia phone functions in j2me or other?

I am new at developing j2me applications. Can anyone tell me is there any way in which within application you can call on phones functions. i.e, is it possible to refer to nokia Clock within application. Is it possible to go into nokia phone book from within application. Is it possible to initiate an application when making a call, for example, save the number dialled within application? BASICALLY IS ANY FORM OF INTERACTION WITH PHONES ORIGINALL FUNCTIONS AND APPLICATION POSSIBLE AND WHAT IS SOURCE CODE IF SO. Thanks for your time.

Regular Contributor

RE: Anyway to call on nokia phone functions in j2me or other?

Hello,

Because of the security reason, MIDlet is not allowed to access the native resources like Phone Book, initial a phone call or save the dialed numbers.

With Nokia SMS API or WMA, you can use MIDlet to send short message, if a client application send a SMS to some certain ports, MIDlet can read it. But it's not possible to use MIDlet access the native Inbox.

Regards,
    Kui

Question Re: Anyway to call on nokia phone functions in j2me or other?

Hi!

And what about other functions? Like starting the built-in calculator, or opening the Gallery? Or to go further, start other, already installed Java midlets?

Thx,

toczka

Super Contributor

Re: Anyway to call on nokia phone functions in j2me or other?

Some of the newer models (3rd Editions boith Series 40 and 60) support access to phone book through JSR-75 PDA optional packages. Your application has to be signed to have access to some features.