Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

No gui application

Hi everyone!

I want to know if the next issue is possible to make it in a device using Java; I want to launch an application with non gui, the problem is, when the JVM inits, it shows the main midlet screen altough you have not anything at the main screen; my question is, is it possible to launch a java midlet with no gui? just open the application and closes with no display? Please help.

Thx in advance , Kind regards

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: No gui application

There is no solution for this which would work across all devices.
    On S60 devices you could set the Displayable null, but that will not work on all other devices

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Hi Hartti and thx a lot

so, I understood there were no chances to make it but, I would like to know, if it´s possible, the JVM version installed in nokia devices and if it´s possible the architecture developed in series 40 and series 60 because Ive seen sensible changes between launching a midlet in a series 40 and launching a midlet in a series 60; Im sure its because of the JVM implementation but I would like knowing about this issue. My question is, besides the one Ive made, why can we find too many differences between the jvm installed in a device and other? Are the jvm´s developed by sun or are they developed for symbian os developers?

Thx in advance, regards

Nokia Developer Champion

There are different JVMs used on different phones. Even Sun has two different implementations of KVM (at least).
    Additionally the phone capabilities are different (different oprocessing power, different amount of memory) and the underlying operating system are different (and have different capabilities), so the application environemnts are bound to be somewhat different.
    Also the MIDP & CLDC specification have let many things not specified, which gives "freedom" to the implementations. Hence there has been a number of API specifications (like JTWI/JSR-185 and MSA/JSR-248) which have tried to remove the fragmentation of the implementations, but there are still many many details which have not been adequately defined by any specification. This means that the implementation will likely be a little different on each system in that regard.

Hartti