Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question SIP Softphone programming

Hello All!

I am trying to develop a SIP phone for J2ME handsets. I have tried my best by searching on Google and everywhere to find some good tutorial or examples. But couldn't find any.

I humbly request all the experts here to guide me to proceed in the right direction. Any suggestion, reference may help me a lot.

Anticipating a positive response.

Thanks,
    Alam Sher

Super Contributor

Re: SIP Softphone programming

SIP phone with Java ME? Unfortunately that is going to be much harder (and almost impossible) with Java ME.
    The main problem is sending the audio from the phone in real time to the other end. You would need to record that data in short sequences, stop recording, start sending the data in another thread and simultaneously start recording the next segment.

On S60 phones you could use Symbian C++, which would allow you to create quite well working SIP phone application.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Interesting.. Skype offers SIP client based on J2ME and the main reason would be that J2ME is supported on more handsets than any other technology currently available in market.

So symbian is what I should be working in. Fine.. But why only S60 it even reduces the application's usability.
    So here are two more questions:

1. Is it SIP which causes this issue and there exists other VoIP solutions/technology that I should concentrate if I want to develop soft phone in J2ME?
    2. If I have to program a SIP phone in symbian then where should I start from? Considering that for this platform i would be starting from hello world

Thanks,
    Alam Sher

Super Contributor

The issue I pointed above is caused by SIP API but the MMAPI implementations, which (at least on those phones I am familiar with) do not let the MIDlet access the recorded data stream until the recording has been stopped.

Hartti