Discussion Board

Verisign Publisher ID not working

Hi,

I have bits and pieces of information on this and I think its not very clear about what works and what does not.

My application has an unprotected UID and I have tried both self generated self signed builds as well as Developer signed builds on various S60 devices successfully.

Now, I am going for getting the app symbian signed and hence got myself a verisign publisher ID. Followed the popular method of exporting it to a pfx file then extracting cer and key files using the vs_pkcs tool and finally using carbide to sign the package using the extracted cer and key files. From exporting of pfx to signing I used no passwords.

The installation failed saying "certificate error: contact application provider".

What could be going wrong?

Kumar

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Verisign Publisher ID not working

It was announced more than a year ago that the publisher ID is to be obtained from TrustCenter.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...r_Publisher_ID
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

ltomuta, thanks for making it clear.

I understand that if I upload a build for symbian signed process, signed with verisign pub ID, it would be rejected. But, the fact that it won't even install on a device is troubling me.

Publisher ID is yet another certificate (technically speaking) and at worst builds signed by them should work like a build which is self signed.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Not really. The Publisher ID has nothing to do with application signing, the phone will not recognize you and will not grant you any rights/capabilities.

The Publisher ID certifies that you (your company) are who you say you are and it is used by Symbian Signed to verify the entity that sumbits the application to them for signing.

The sis file will then be signed with Symbian's certificate, which is recognised by the device and based on which the rights/capabilities are granted.

P.S. Do some further reading on this thread. It seems that some exceptions are stil applied so you might be able to use your Verisign certificate for certing signing types. Also, contact Symbian Signed directly for more informations with regards to Publisher ID's validity.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Ok, so the way I understand it. We are not supposed to sign the sis with a publisher ID unless its for submission purposes, and that it is normal for a sis file signed in this way to fail during installation.

As far as my verisign pub id is concerned, lets see what symbian signed has to say, thanks a lot.