Discussion Board

Exclamation Getting started - protected APIs, "developer mode"?

Hi all,

I've been building applications on the Sprint network and there is a mechanism to "enable developer root" on those devices so I can build Java applications that access protected API's and test (code sign) locally. Before deployment I then send my tested code to Sprint for signing that supports wide-distribution and their certificate does not require the developer unlock.

Is there something I can do to a Nokia 2600 on AT&T that will allow me to develop and locally test? I need access to JSR-82 and specifically API's that even a Verisign cert has "no access". So I can't even try a line of code without a partnership with AT&T.

Is there an unlock that I can buy that will allow me unlock my phone for development? This sounds like a bad chick/egg problem. AT&T wants me to send them my app for signing (and they want to test the app of course) but I cannot even try the app myself and none of the Bluetooth API's perform anything useful in the emulator.

Thanks,
    Rick

Super Contributor

Re: Getting started - protected APIs, "developer mode"?

AT&T DevCentral is really a correct place for this question
    http://developer.att.com/
    http://developerboards.att.lithium.c...tegory.id=FURM

My understanding is that you really need to partner with AT&T to get the AT&T signing for your app. But please, ask from AT&T directly

Hartti

Hartti: I'm asking the question on a Nokia forum because I need to develop an application on Nokia devices. Thanks for punting so quickly on a real answer.

If I purchase a phone directly from Nokia, would I experience this issue? Would having the device homed to another carrier solve the problem? I need access to JSR-82, Bluetooth, if I purchase directly from Nokia, can I access those API's? I have the same requirement for SMS sending and receiving in terms of API access.

No mention on the emulator either - what about support for Bluetooth in the emulator?

Thanks,
    Rick

Regular Contributor

Yes please unlock the device.
    In some countries the Phones are totally unlocked so the application has access to all api's. ou could buy such devices and try your application out.
    Another way is to buy the code for your particular phone online and unlock your device manually.
    Thanks and Regrads
    Pradeepcg

Thanks Pradeepcg. I was looking for confirmation that performing a sim-unlock on the phone would also remove the carrier API restrictions but couldn't find anywhere that actually said that. While I'm not concerned about being able to use the phone on a different carrier, having access to the API's is VERY important.

So, to confirm, via you or anyone else, a standard sim-unlock also removes API restrictions imposed by a carrier?

Thanks,
    Rick

Super Contributor

SIM unlocking does not change the API access settings.
    If you buy a generic, non-branded phone, then yes, there are less restrictions in the API access than on AT&T branded phones.

Hartti
    Last edited by hartti; 2008-11-10 at 23:24. Reason: typo

Okay, so I purchased a phone directly from Nokia.

How do I perform development on the device? I need access to JSR-82 and JSR-120/205 - Bluetooth and SMS. Everyone mentions the Java app testing process - how are developers supposed to develop for devices in the first place? I can't very well get an app certified that hasn't ever been tested on a real device. This cannot be this hard.

Rick

Super Contributor

You can test the MIDlets on real devices. There will be confirmation prompts before the MIDlet can access restricted APIs.

For some more information, see here
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...curity_Domains
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ng_for_dummies

If you think we are missing some important questions on the second page, please do not hesitate to sugges some additional entries on the page.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

<Quote> Is there something I can do to a Nokia 2600 on AT&T that will allow me to develop and locally test? I need access to JSR-82 and specifically API's that even a Verisign cert has "no access". So I can't even try a line of code without a partnership with AT&T.</Quote>

Please answer the follwoing questions

1. Is the phone locked to a particular Carier. like AT&T
    Answer : You will fall in this category -- if Yes then unlock will do. Search Google for the same There are many websites that provide the software for unlock.

If No check for the next question.
    2. Does the phone show anywhere that it is for any network like does your carier logo come up on the device as a background( not the operator logo )
    Answer : If yes then unlock the device and load the latest software from nokia. If No then there is something wrong with your phone or the phone doesn't have the required JSR 82.

Also check the Device Capabilities at
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/2600_classic
    Thanks and Regrads
    Pradeepcg

Regular Contributor

One more thing is that even after unlock it may not work Don't Panic, It is the AMS(App Mgmt Service), To activate give permissions for access to restricted api through Options->Details.etc
    Thanks and Regrads
    Pradeepcg