Discussion Board

Lightbulb Nokia VPN client policy file

Hallo,
    I have a Nokia N78 that I am trying to connect to a VPN gateway through Nokia S60 3rd edition FP2 VPN client.I have constructed a VPN policy .pol file and integrated it it correctly in a .sis file which I installed on my phone,all according the directions I found elsewhere in this forum.
    The trouble is although I am perfectly able to connect to my VPN gateway behind my LAN(ie with my laptop) when I try to bring up the VPN connection on my phone ,also connected throug my home wireless LAN,
    I persistently get the following error in the VPN log:
    error code -5257
    unable to connect to VPN gateway xx.xx.xx.xx (where xx.xx.xx.xx is the correct IP adress of my VPN gateway).

Could someone shed some light as to what may I am doing wrong here please?
    I would be very grateful for the input!!

Re: Nokia VPN client policy file

You should not use .sis files with N78 anymore. New VPN client that you are using supports .vpn policy format. There is own tool for creating VPN policy files in
    http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.co..._downloads.php
    Most likely there is typo or something similar in the used policy. Please try to do the same with Policy Tool.

First of all thank you for your answer.
    I did what you proposed and used the provided application from Nokia to create a .vpn policy file and installed it on my device.
    Now the error it gives me is
    error code -5256 (which incidentally isn't listed in Nokia error codes)

the whole message goes by:
    Failed to create Internet connection via Internet access point '192.168.100.10'. VPN access point 'VPN',
    reason code -5256.

First of all I cannot understand where this '192.168.100.10' stems from (it is the wireless-LAN IP of my phone) because I did not specify it at any point at all during the creation of the policy file and certainly it is not the IP of my desired 'access point' the VPN gateway.

Can anyone shed some light in this one please?
    Last edited by klemesr; 2008-11-11 at 09:59.

Error code -5256 means that IKE negotiation failed due to policy mismatch. So you need to check what are the configuration details in your VPN GW side to see what goes wrong.

What gateway you are using and what configuration you are targetting?

IP address you mentioned comes from WLAN AP you are using.

Thanks again for your answer.
    The gateway I am trying to access is my local's University VPN gateway.Unfortunately though I don't know the exact type and configuration of it because in their webpage they don't give out any more information than the VPN gateway's adress and that along with my provided username & password is enough for me to connect to it via Windows Vista Home.I don't know maybe it's a Windows based gateway.
    I up until know must have tried all the possible combinations that do not require a certificate for generating a valid policy file but they all have failed by giving error -5257 :the gateway you are trying to access gave no response....blah..blah..blah...
    Is there any solution or should I give up???
    Is it possible that my router is blocking some communication port thus blocking all incoming traffic from the VPN gateway to my device???

Hi

Im using Nokia VPN Client 4.0 (native) on E72 device and facing the same issue that you have come across few years ago. (Kindly find below reference link).

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...nt-policy-file

I seek help and inputs from you about the same.

Did you manage to establish successful VPN tunnel with the VPN Server? How you fixed / closed the issue?

Thanks and regards
    Amol