Discussion Board

Question Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

When canvas switched to fullscreen mode, softbuttons are not drawn, so I have to draw them myself. How can I determine which layout is used to draw them correctly? I mean that sometimes softbuttons are at the bottom of the screen, sometimes at the right border. Sometimes first button at the top, sometime the second one...

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

Hey,
    Your question is not clear,
    Please provide the more information.
    Thanks
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Look up for Orientation on Wiki
    Regards

- MVP
    "Dare To Dream" - A.P.J.Kalam

Question Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    Hey,
    Your question is not clear,
    Please provide the more information.
    Thanks
    Well, you see: when Canvas is not in a full screen mode, softbutton labels are written by the sytem in the correct places of the screen. In the most cases they are placed at the bottom of the screen, with first softbutton at left and second button at right.
    But there are cases when those buttons are placed another way. For example, on some Nokias with rotatable screens in horizontal orientation softbuttons are placed to the right of the screen with first softbutton at the bottom and the second one at the top. On the internal screen of Nokia E90 softbuttons are also placed to the right of the screen, but the first one is at the top and the second one is ath the bottom.
    Now, when Canvas is in a full screen mode, the system doesn't draw the softbutton labels, so I have to draw them myself. But to do that I must know where softbuttons are physically placed to draw them at correct places of the screen. So, where can I get information about softbutton physical placement?

Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

If I am not wrong, even if the orientation changes, the left and right soft button remains the same. So if one wants to use any of the soft button, he just needs to press that button and the keys are accepted, unless ignored in the application itself.

Also to check in what orientation the screen is check for Orientation related information on wiki as stated in my post earlier.
    There are enums which informs orientation information.
    Regards

- MVP
    "Dare To Dream" - A.P.J.Kalam

Super Contributor

Hi Yagiza,
    Thanks for the more information..
    Let me first talk about the devices those have there screen like a normal one.I mean to say the mobiles with non-rotationable screen, there soft button are as per your explanation.However for the mobiles with rotationable screen the same concept is followed by the mobile.Just Imagine that you are just rotating your mobile by 90 degree anti-clockwise.Thats the only difference.

If you want to write your custom soft button string then you can right and set the position for the text.
    hope that this make sense.
    write here for any query,
    Thanks
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Unhappy Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

Quote Originally Posted by mrudulpen View Post
    If I am not wrong, even if the orientation changes, the left and right soft button remains the same. So if one wants to use any of the soft button, he just needs to press that button and the keys are accepted, unless ignored in the application itself.
    Yes, but I have to draw them in correct places. And I must know where are they placed relative to a new screen orientation.

Also to check in what orientation the screen is check for Orientation related information on wiki as stated in my post earlier.
    There are enums which informs orientation information.
    I checked it but found nothing useful for me.

Exclamation Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    Hi Yagiza,
    Thanks for the more information..
    Let me first talk about the devices those have there screen like a normal one.I mean to say the mobiles with non-rotationable screen, there soft button are as per your explanation.However for the mobiles with rotationable screen the same concept is followed by the mobile.Just Imagine that you are just rotating your mobile by 90 degree anti-clockwise.Thats the only difference.
    No. 'Cause I cannot be sure if the screen was rotated, or user switched between two sreens (internal and external for example) or it was original resolution. As I said before, I don't know where are softbuttons physically placed relative to the screen. It seems You still cannot understand me. Maybe I have to post some screenshots to explain the problem?

If you want to write your custom soft button string then you can right and set the position for the text.
    hope that this make sense.
    Really I don't want to write a custom soft button label, but I have to draw it myself, cause system doesnt draw it in a full screen canvas!

Super Contributor

Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

It seems that issue is that when you are using FullScreen Canvas the system does not draw the commands in correct places, and then when you try to draw them yourself, even if you get the information about display width and height, you still cannot draw the buttons properly as the buttons can be placed in different places (not only at the bottom of the page). Is this correct?

Unfortunately there is no method to get the softbutton placement from the system in Java ME.

The (not so beautiful) workaround is to draw them (by default) at the bottom of the screen and then have a list of exceptions hardcoded in your MIDlet based on the system property microedition.platform and screen width and height and position graphics differently in those cases

Hartti

Unhappy Re: Fullscreen mode - softbutton layout

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    It seems that issue is that when you are using FullScreen Canvas the system does not draw the commands in correct places, and then when you try to draw them yourself, even if you get the information about display width and height, you still cannot draw the buttons properly as the buttons can be placed in different places (not only at the bottom of the page). Is this correct?
    Right! That's the case!

Unfortunately there is no method to get the softbutton placement from the system in Java ME.
    Too bad... (v_v)

The (not so beautiful) workaround is to draw them (by default) at the bottom of the screen and then have a list of exceptions hardcoded in your MIDlet based on the system property microedition.platform and screen width and height and position graphics differently in those cases
    IC. That's what I thought from the beginning. But I was hoping I'm wrong.

Anyway, thank you!

I just wonder if applications, which draw softbuttons correctly (OperaMini, WidSets etc.) are working this way?