Discussion Board

Thread: rms size limit?

Regular Contributor

rms size limit?

is it ok to store large ~10 kilobyte of data inside rms?

Regular Contributor

Re: rms size limit?

Hi,

Please note that the RMS size dependes on the device. Writting/Reading too much data on to the RMS will affect the speed of your application.

If the data is static then you can include it in the JAR itself and use.

Regards
    Amit

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: rms size limit?

Hi,
    How much data you can save in RMS that depends upon the mobile you are working with..
    for the further details you can read these links,
    check these links
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=86774
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/m...s/databaserms/
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...dition_devices
    Thanks,
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Nokia Developer Champion

hi,
    im working on ur query but still unable to found any appropriate solution. i hav an idea. u can check it by ur own.just put the data upto 10 kb in ur resource folder and then convert it into bytes and then store it in RMS. if any exception occurs then it shows that the RMS of ur device is unable to store data upto 10kb. i know this is not a perfect answer but there is no any appropriate solution for the RMS size limit as it is not fixed to all devices.

thanx
    Jitu_goldie

Hi ,
    Before Writing the data in to RMS check the available RMS Size and Write the data. But This Size will be differ from devise to devise . It is dependent on How meany applications you have installed how much memory you have how meany contacts you have saved in to your phone etc..

getSizeAvailable() ;

Returns the amount of additional room (in bytes) available for this record store to grow.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi mikecotic,

as told from previous thread replies, there is not such a requirement in MIDP specifications, so each phone can actually have any maximum RMS allowed size. Following the tips given by others you can check which is the actual available size for RMS on each device.

Talking from experience, 10Kb are far acceptable for all current (but also non-current) devices, so you should not care that much about it. Of course, you should also implement some Exception-management mechanism to correctly handle devices that have a lower RMS limit.

Also, note that devices compliant with JSR 185 (JTWI) have a minimum RMS size of 30Kb.

Pit

Hi

Something else that may be of interest.

I had a problem writing more that a certain amount of records to RMS, but I could create 1 record in RMS that was bigger than the sum of all the other records.

i.e I could only write 5403 records of 120 bytes to RMS (On a Nokia N95) but I could write 1 record of 1.2Mb to RMS.

Regards
    Steve

Regular Contributor

thanks , the emulator has 2gb space and nokia n95 ~60 megz
    i hope there wont be a down time with large record stores .

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

@Steve: have you tried checking getSizeAvailable() returned values in both cases? Also, which Exceptions do you get in both cases, when trying to add another record? These could be quite interesting to have more hints about this behavior.

@mikecotic: reading/writing RecordStores is generally a long-running operation, and when dealing with big ones the operation time surely increases. This is the reason why these operations should always be performed from within a separate thread

Pit

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    Hi,

@Steve: have you tried checking getSizeAvailable() returned values in both cases? Also, which Exceptions do you get in both cases, when trying to add another record? These could be quite interesting to have more hints about this behavior.

@mikecotic: reading/writing RecordStores is generally a long-running operation, and when dealing with big ones the operation time surely increases. This is the reason why these operations should always be performed from within a separate thread

Pit
    as far as i have known java really doesnt like threading , and does j2me even support threading?

Hi Jappit

I had the problem quite a while ago, so I can't remember the exact error. The way I overcame the problem was instead of having many records in the record store I had only 1 large one (1.2MB) and I processed on that

When I have some time I will try simulate it again and post the results.

Steve

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikecotic View Post
    as far as i have known java really doesnt like threading , and does j2me even support threading?
    Yes, it does.
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/m...es/threading2/

Regular Contributor

it even provides thread safty , cool - i didn't excpect such a comprhenisive implementation of threading in j2me to be frank.
    there is one problem however , the implementation does not take care of threading layers - backgroud layer and the one which deals with the ui (the background one should be used to interact for example with the RMS or create http connections).
    correct me if i am wrong but for delayed periods , i.e server synchronization - it is better to use the push registry's Timer object instead of thread.sleep or some sort of object.wait implementation.
    are there any other concurrent alternatives in j2me but the push registry and the thread object?
    Last edited by mikecotic; 2008-11-14 at 17:14.