Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

J2ME or C++ for VoIP on Mobile

Hi All,

I am more inclined to Java (J2SE) and that's why i was considering J2ME as option for Mobile Application. But some of problems i faced. I didn't felt good about these problems in J2ME. I know J2ME is subset of J2SE and has memory constraints. But C++ is has more market as compared to J2ME and I was able to find some problems with J2ME especially with respect to VoIP on Mobile phone. Following are the Issues

1. I thought of reusing the C++ Code. But direct JNI is not supported in J2ME . I got another solution MIDlet native services framework, which makes use of socket connection to call C++ from J2ME. But here we would need two socket communications, one from J2ME to C++ and another from C++ to J2ME. This could be a overhead for performance. Any other options for this?

2. We thought of considering using J2ME only (without C++) for VoIP. J2ME Supports SIP. But another setback, RTP is not supported in J2ME . I am wandering SUN can do this. Now here one solution is to write own RTP (one solution given on IEEE website). And one more solution is using callback technique similar to FlyVoIP. Anybody have used this? How this will work? How J2ME will handle voice in this case? Will J2ME just do the connection and actual voice will be transported using some thing else? As J2ME does not support real time voice communication. Any other ways to achieve this? or should I go for C++?

Please provide inputs from your side.

Thanks,
    Sandeep

Super Contributor

Re: J2ME or C++ for VoIP on Mobile

In general, Java ME is less well equipped for VoIP application development (for example handling the recording the audio and sending that stream out from the device in real time) than native implementations are.

I would recommend you to go directly to Symbian C++ (so no for pure Java ME and no for Java ME together with Symbian C++)

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Hi hartti,

I will check the Symbian C++ option. Only hurdle here is the learning curve for Symbian C++ is tough. But we have documentation and forums, so that will be great help.

As mentioned, J2ME was my first love . I got some solutions already in market.
    1. FlyVoIP
    2. Talkonaut

And Nokia is also providing some APIs for VoIP on S40. Not sure how they plan to achieve this as S40 is J2ME platform.

There might be some more in market. Can you please check them once? I am not sure they are written only in J2ME, as J2ME is not supporting full duplex communication. How they are achieving this?

Thanks,
    Sandeep

Hi Sandeep

I m also working on VOIP client using J2ME.I m facing problem with audio trasmission using RTP.I m using SIP and RTP over UDP. And to get each packet it is taking 4500 ms. that is too much of time..I using Sun WTK 2.5.1. Please inform if Voip on j2me is possible.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Hi look4vidhya,

I have researched, in most of the threads i have got that as RTP is not supported in J2ME, high quality VoIP is not possible using J2ME. It prob would be walkie talkie kind of thing.I dont know why J2ME is restricting itself? One option could be J2MEUI, Symbian C++ backend and socket communication. Other is write everything is Symbain C++, which will be a good option.

Thanks,
    Sandeep
    Last edited by sandeepkumar03; 2009-02-05 at 19:07.