Discussion Board

using our own mobile gateway

We want to share pictures/images from one mobile phone to another mobile phone or a PC. So, I have installed the mobile web server on the phone , created an account on mymobilesite.net and have been able to test properly.

Now I want to use my own gateway instead of mymobilesite.net. So I have installed raccoon on one of the PC with running linux. Everything is setup as per the installation guide and is working fine and I can create users etc.

But now I have a few issues.
    1) I have a static IP address, but no domain name registered. Can I still use the gateway with
    this IP address or must I register a domain name?
    2) I am not clear of the url which is assigned to the users like xxx.at.operator.com. My
    understanding is that operator.com should be replaced by my own domain name. Is this
    correct?
    3) I am not able to link my phone to my gateway. I guess, if I can solve 1 & 2 then this should
    be solved.

Any help is highly appreciated.

IN case, if any of you need any further info, please me know.
    Last edited by laxmiraghu; 2008-11-15 at 07:37.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: using our own mobile gateway

Sorry for not responding earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by laxmiraghu View Post
    Now I want to use my own gateway instead of mymobilesite.net. So I have installed raccoon on one of the PC with running linux. Everything is setup as per the installation guide and is working fine and I can create users etc.
    You are probably aware of this, but just in case...

Note that the Raccoon gateway and MWS are quite distinct. You need to have a Raccoon connector running on the phone in order to be able to use the Raccoon gw. It is not possible to connect to the Raccoon gw using the MWS phone application.

1) I have a static IP address, but no domain name registered. Can I still use the gateway with this IP address or must I register a domain name?
    It depends. If being able to browse to your mobile using a http://.../~mymobile type of URL is sufficient, then not having a domain name should probably be ok.

However, if you want to be able to use a URL like http://mymobile.mydomain.com, then you do need to have a domain. However, a dyndns one should be fine, if you can't or don't want to register a normal one.

You see, all mobiles behind a gateway will have the same IP-address (so in that respect the gateway acts as a kind of NAT), and thus the gateway needs something that it can use for figuring out which mobile a particular request is intended for.

2) I am not clear of the url which is assigned to the users like xxx.at.operator.com. My understanding is that operator.com should be replaced by my own domain name. Is this correct?
    Actually at.operator.com. However, now I'm not sure whether the gateway installation by default allows you to use http://xxx.domain.com or whether only http://domain.com/~xxx is available.

The support for the former addressing mode is there and all you at most need to do is to configure it manually, but the latter addressing mode should always work.

Johan

Thanks Johan. The information was really helpful.

Question Re: using our own mobile gateway

We are students of BE-IT,Sardar patel institute of Technology,Mumbai.We're implementing MWS as our final year project.
    We also want to install and run our gateway on own computer,But facing some problems(after following the installation guide).
    Would it be possible for u to help us? (in fact, it is much needed!!)
    waiting for some reply.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nikhildarjee View Post
    We also want to install and run our gateway on own computer,But facing some problems(after following the installation guide).
    You need to be specific. What have you done and what problems are you facing?

Br,
    Johan

Thanks for the quick reply.
    We r getting exceptions after starting tomcat.
    It is not creating the required file 'mws.log' in logs/ directory of tomcat installation.

These are two exceptions which we r getting repeatedly alongwith some warnings.

"org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
    SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.nokia.mws.valve.MuserValve"

"org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector <init>
    SEVERE: Protocol handler instantiation failed: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.nokia.mws.connector.server.MuserProtocolHandler"

if anyone passed through the same problem
    plz. help
    Last edited by nikhildarjee; 2009-03-06 at 09:13.