Discussion Board

Local SyncML over IR or Bluetooth?

Hi there,

I have seen several posts on the forum indicating that SyncML cannot be used for local synchronization with a nearby machine accessible via Infrared or Bluetooth...

I must say that it puzzles me, not to mention the disappointment that this shortcoming is raising in my enthousiastic mood of 7650 owner.

Let's say I'm the developper of a PIM software for which I'd like to offer local synchronization with a 7650, over IR or Bluetooth. Does it mean that I cannot use SyncML for that purpose? How to do it then? Is there some kind of specifications available and describing what the PC Suite does to synchronize with Lotus Notes and MS Outlook in order to mimic this behaviour?

Thanks a lot.

RE: Local SyncML over IR or Bluetooth?

hi
    SyncML is a text based XML subset protocol and can be used to synchronize data between any two machines.
    Its the matter of implementing a SyncMl client and server on the two devices that are to be synched. The transport bearer can be anything HTTP, IRDA, BLUETOOTH etc....

P800 from SE is the first device supporting local sync over SyncMl

Regrds

Good for them...

Does it mean that all the people desperately needing some sort of local SyncML with their 7650/3650 will need to switch to SE's P800?

Well, considering the lack of support from Nokia which does not even respect its customers enough to grant them with at least a statement on the matter, I'm beginning to believe that it is what Nokia wants us to do...