Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to add new screen resolutions to the emulator?

I was trying to do add support for extra screen resolutions on S60 3rd FP1 emulator.

I edited epoc.ini to add a reference to my new resolutions epoc_resolution.ini files but the new resolutions would not work properly and where still showing QVGA UI only white padding for the extra pixels. Then I tried to fix that by playing with wsini.ini but failed as well.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to add extra custom resolution to your emulator?

(I know about the plug-ins for E series but I need another custom resolution)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to add new screen resolutions to the emulator?

epoc*.ini would help you configure how the emulator looks (fascia, screen area, keys) and behaves (logging, drives emulation and screen mode).

You must configure the screen modes in wsini.ini and then link to the screen mode from the epoc*.ini

If you download the E-series plug-in and compare the configuration files with the ones in the SDK you will have your answers. Or at least some of them.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I think what I'm missing is how to link between wsini.ini screen modes and epoc*.ini. I thought it would work with ordinal position but looks like it isn't.

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the E series plug-in.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Look at the OnActivation statement.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Alright I think I got it now!

You define OnActivate to send a key to the windows server then you use S60_HWSTATE_KEYCODEx from wsini.ini to catch that key and enable a different screen size. I'll give it a try on monday.

Great help thanks a bunch.

I'm still struggling to get that working and after installing the E Series plug-in for my FP1 SDK I realized the wsini.ini file did not change.

So I did a search for other wsini.ini file and the one which is used by the emulator is not the one from \Epoc32\Data but rather the one in \Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z\system\data thus my confusion a lot of useless try.

Hopefully with that knowledge I should be able to get it working now

No luck there I can't get it to work.
    Even if I simply try to change width and height of the 800x352 configuration in both epoc_800x352.ini and wsini.ini all I get is that the 800x352 configuration displays a screen the size of the previous configuration.

Such a waste of time I could use some help...

Still stuck with that. Does the size in twips matter at all?

Question Re: How to add new screen resolutions to the emulator?

Ok let's start that all over again.

I've installed the E Series SDK on top of S60 3rd FP1.
    So far so good I can have the emulator in 800x352 resolution.

Now I edited epoc_800x352.ini and wsini.ini and removed the size in twip stuff for that resolution, also called physical size in epoc*.ini. I just wanted to get that out of my way. All sounds good cause after restarting my emulator my 800x352 resolution still works fine.

Now I edit epoc_800x352.ini and wsini.ini and change the height of the screen to 240 instead of 352. Respectively ScreenHeight and SCR_HEIGHT6 properties. After restarting the emulator instead of showing a resolution of of 800x240 as I would expect the screen size does not change when switching to the formerly 800x352 configuration but rather remains to whatever it was in the previous configuration. If I revert those last changes and put back the height properties to 352 in epoc_800x352.ini and wsini.ini then all works fine again.

Why is that? What I my missing? I'm clueless!

Surely hacking into those 20001079.txt files should not be necessary... or is it?

Still no success with that

Angry Re: How to add new screen resolutions to the emulator?

It sounds like you can't just change your emulator screen resolution to an arbitrary setting.

Last thing I was trying was to change the 800x352 resolution provided by the ESeries SDK on FP1 to 240x320 and that worked fine but if I try something like 240x400 it won't. So it really looks like somewhere in some S60 binaries or obscure data file is a finite list of supported resolutions and you can't override it no matter how much you tweak your epoc.ini and wsini.ini.

That's most annoying. Can't understand the rational behind such a limitation.

Nokia Developer Expert

S60 does not dynamically scale UI layouts to fit arbitrary screen sizes. Instead, layouts are designed and compiled offline. So, although you can change the emulated screen size in epoc.ini and wsini.ini, the UI will only use a layout for screen sizes it recognises.

Thanks for confirming that behavior.

Question Re: How to add new screen resolutions to the emulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Murray_Sym View Post
    S60 does not dynamically scale UI layouts to fit arbitrary screen sizes. Instead, layouts are designed and compiled offline. So, although you can change the emulated screen size in epoc.ini and wsini.ini, the UI will only use a layout for screen sizes it recognises.
    Hi! If I used "S60 5th Edition SDK for Symbian OS v0.9", which resolutions are supported? And is there any specification or document about customized screen size for S60 5th Edition SDK? Thanks!