Discussion Board

Symbian Express Signed guaranteed to be installable?

I've spent hours with reading through docs .. still have questions - maybe s.o. could enlighten me?

Is an application that is correctly "Symbian Express Signed" guaranteed to be installable on any S60 >= 3rd Ed device?

In other words: can a device manufacturer / operator lock down a device to only allow "Symbian Certified Signed" applications to be installed?

Or can a device only be locked down for "signed" apps, regardless if "only" Express Signed or Certified Signed?

What about "self-signed" apps?

Thanks,
    Tobias

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Symbian Express Signed guaranteed to be installable?

So far I have only seen the restriction with self-signed apps, though I have not ever used operator branded devices, so can not be 100 % sure on their approach with developer certificatates.

Thanks for your help ..

In the meantime, I've found

z:\system\data\swipolicy.ini

http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...swipolicy.html

which seems to indicate a whole spectrum of options.

In particular

"If there is a root certificate marked as MANDATORY in the SWI certificate store, ... the installation will fail unless the package is signed with a verifiable end entity certificate."

could mean that a manufactorer/operator could lock down to only "Symbian Certified Signed", if that signing process would use a dedicated root certificate which was marked MANDATORY.

Is this true?

Further: I can view swipolicy.ini on my unbranded E51 using Y-Browser.
    How can I view the device certificate store, checking whats in it and what certs are installed with MANDATORY option?

Could be useful to have a database of "swipolicy.ini" / certs per device/operator ..

Nokia Developer Moderator

You are starting with the presumption that the Express Signed and Certified Signed processes are using different root certificates for signing. What makes you think that?

Also, if a certain operator would have taken such measure I'm sure we would have known by now.

P.S. The certificates installed on the phone can be inspected through Settings -> ... -> Security -> Certificates
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-11-14 at 23:47.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    You are starting with the presumption that the Express Signed and Certified Signed processes are using different root certificates for signing. What makes you think that?
    Nothing, I was just asking "Is that true?".

Actually, the question was 2-parted:

a) Do "Express Signed" and "Symbian Signed" use the same root cert for signing?

and b), given a) was true: Do there exist operators that use differing root certs for "Express Signed" vs "Symbian Signed" with MANDATORY for the latter to lock out any apps that are only "Express Signed".

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Also, if a certain operator would have taken such measure I'm sure we would have known by now.
    I'm glad that your answer is no (at least not that you know), that is "Express Signed" is as good as "Symbian Signed" regarding "installability" (modulo caps are satisfied).

Since "installability" was my main concern, I no longer really care about the answer to a).

Thx for the info and also on where to find installed certs!
    Last edited by oberstet; 2008-11-15 at 00:22.