Discussion Board

Widget installation failing

When I Open in the epoc emulator a widget .wgz file I have created, I get an error msg: "Unable to install. Feature not supported."

I am using the 3FP2V1.1 SDK. I copied the .plist file from the accuwidget example to use as a template and then changed the keys to fit my file names.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what epoc is complaining about?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Widget installation failing

One easy to make mistake that gets you to install failure is to zip the widget file into a .wgz without the folder (files in the root of the zip)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

You could also start by using a working example and doing the modifications one-by-one to it(from your own), so then you could find easily which change causes the error.

I so far only have had this problem when I have done something wrong with the info file.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    One easy to make mistake that gets you to install failure is to zip the widget file into a .wgz without the folder (files in the root of the zip)
    Thanks, that would be a real show-stopper. I have checked the size of the compressed file I create and then after I have dragged the folder into it and it is 108k. So I don't think it is empty. The folder I draggged into it had the plist, html, png, script and css files.

The other clue we have is that the message contains "Feature not supported". That says to me that it is complaining about something that the contents are specifying.

I have been fastidious in naming and header detail according to the instructions in the Web Developer Library 1.2 for the .plist and .html files.

I have tried including a .png or not to force using a s60 default. I have tried installing via Open in the epoc emulator according to the Flash video "Getting Started with Web Runtime Widgets for S60" and then selecting the .wgz file. I have also tried copying the .wgz file to the directory specified in the "Getting Started with Web Widget Development" documentation:

Horoscope.wgz of the widget is now ready. To deploy it for testing and
    validation in an emulator environment, follow these steps:
    1. Copy the Horoscope.wgz file to the emulator file system. The destination path is:
    ...\epoc32\winscw\c\Data\Others

Then I followed the directions to use the File Manager to Open the wgz file. That produced exactly the same error msg.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    You could also start by using a working example and doing the modifications one-by-one to it(from your own), so then you could find easily which change causes the error.

I so far only have had this problem when I have done something wrong with the info file.
    I used the plist file from the accuweather widget for that reason. Here is the file as I modified it. Do you see and obvious errors?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Nokia//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/DTDs/plist-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>DisplayName</key>
    <string>Hopper</string> <!-- Name to be shown next to the icon -->
    <key>Identifier</key>
    <string>com.clicksheet.widget.hopper</string> <!-- Unique string to identify this widget (in reverse domain format) -->
    <key>MainHTML</key>
    <string>hopper.html</string> <!-- File name of the main HTML document -->
    <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    <true /> <!-- Allow access to the network-based resources from the widget -->
    </dict>
    </plist>

That look ok to me, so the problem gotta be in some other place.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post

I started taking your advice step by step, and I realized that I was re-naming the info.plist file to (widgetname).plist. That was the problem:

It is important that you keep the file named info.plist, not just keep the plist extension.

It installed fine after making that change.

Thanks for all your help, guys!!