Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

j2me Code Signing: Self Signed Certificate VS Unknown Certificate VS No Certificate?

Hello all,

I have Developed a j2me Application which i want to digitally sign with a Certificate
    that i am going to buy from Verisign.The application is simply doing http/https connections.
    My questions are:
    (1) Which tool should i use? WTK 2.5.2 signing tools or something else like openssl?
    (2) In which Security domain should i include My certificate? identified_third_party or something else?

Additionally lets say that the Phone in which i am going to install my application for some reason does NOT
    CONTAIN the appropriate ROOT Certificate from Verisign (in which belongs the certificate that i will buy)
    The (Crucial) Questions are:
    (A)What will happen if i will try to install my signed Midlet in a handset not containt Verisign Root Certificate?
    will be installed or no installation at all will take place?
    (B)What will happen if i sign my Midlet with one a "Self Signed" Certificate and install it to my Handset?

Finally what must be my decision for Handsets that do not include the Appropriate Verisign ROOT Certificate?
    (a)Sign My Application with the Certificate that i will buy From Verisign?
    (b)Sign My Application a "Self Signed" Certificate?
    (c)Do not Sign the application at all?
    (d)Buy A second Certificate from another CA authrity ie thawte

Please HELP!

Thanks

NiKolaos

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: j2me Code Signing: Self Signed Certificate VS Unknown Certificate VS No Certifica

WTK should work fine, also Netbeans works. Make sure you get the correct certificate for MIDlet signing from VeriSign!

A) If the corresponding authority certificate does not exist on the phone, the MIDlet will not be installed. This answers also B)

The answer to the last questions is the signing really needed for your MIDlet. a) and b) are not options for you as there is no corresponding root certificate on the phone, so the MIDlet will not be installed.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Re: j2me Code Signing: Self Signed Certificate VS Unknown Certificate VS No Certifica

hartti

Thanks for your answer , was very helpful!

but what about my question
    "(2) In which Security domain should i include My certificate? identified_third_party or something else?"

Can you help?

Thanks

Nikolaos

Regular Contributor

The type of Certificate that you need to get depends on the Type of operations your application does.

1. Does it use HTTP/HTTPS:
    2. Do you do any File Connection/ PIM.
    3. Network connections like SMS,MMS,etc

For (1) a basic identified 3rd part is more than enough.
    I am not sure of the other 2 as it varies from operator to operator.
    AT&T has a set of levels so does T-Mobile. Please check your operator - developer website for more details
    Thanks and Regrads
    Pradeepcg

Nokia Developer Champion

Nikolaos, You cannot install a certificate for MIDlet signing on a device.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Hi,

If you want to sign midlet for http connections then it has to be trusted 3rd party domain. However for sending SMS its a bit difficult since it wont remove all the confirmation.

Anyways for removing confirmation while accessing GPRS you can also set midlet to ask just once without even signing it. For doing this go to application manager then select your midlet and go to settings and change access network to ask first time.

Hope this helps you out.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Regular Contributor

Dear all,

My application functionality is doing http/https connections.
    so i will be fine, BUT
    "I am not sure of the other 2 as it varies from operator to operator.
    AT&T has a set of levels so does T-Mobile. Please check your operator - developer website for more details"

what is the connection of Midlet signing with the Operators?

can you help?

Thanks!
    Nikolaos