Discussion Board

developing an application using latitude and longtitude

Hi everyone.I am a newcomer on the nokia forum.I am currently trying to create a symbian c++ application to calculate distance between two points using geograpihical coordinates(longtitude and latitude)

How it works is that i would like to input coordinates and following that the application will be able to calculate the distance between my current location and the coordinates i just entered. Is is possible to create such an application? thanks

Super Contributor

Re: developing an application using latitude and longtitude

Of course it is possible to create such an application.

All you need is:
    - a form through which the user can enter the coordinates
    - a routine that uses the proper algorithm to do the calculation
    - display the result

See the various "getting started" documents, tutorials and examples on this site (including the wiki) and the S60 C++ SDK.

And if you don't know how to calculate the distance between two points on Earth, search for the correct algorithms in suitable text books ( most that deal with the math around navigation on the seas, for example ), or the Internet ( e.g., http://codesearch.google.com/ ).

thank you petrib for you help. i can't seem to find the coding to create forms, can anyone help by showing me the link? thanks

Super Contributor

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by weihaojoshua View Post
    thank you petrib for you help. i can't seem to find the coding to create forms, can anyone help by showing me the link? thanks
    It seems you are beginner. If you are uisng J2ME then create the object of Form class. Please read some UI api from any book before you start development.