Discussion Board

non maximized application

Hello,

I have the following question: how can I make a non-maximized application? I have tried to make a screen (MIDP) or a shell (eSWT) to show up non-maximized, but it seems that the first (root) window must always be maximized. Is that so? If so, is there a way around it?

The only option I now have is to use a modal window like an Alert, but that does not give me the possibilities I need; I want to use a canvas to do custom painting. The canvas should be 'in front' of the background of the phone, i.e., in front of the wallpaper, icons, time, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I am developing on the S60 SDK 3rd edition FP1, for the 6210 Nav phone. Have also tried the SDK 5th edition.

Geert.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: non maximized application

Quote Originally Posted by gmjonker View Post
    Hello,

I have the following question: how can I make a non-maximized application? I have tried to make a screen (MIDP) or a shell (eSWT) to show up non-maximized, but it seems that the first (root) window must always be maximized. Is that so? If so, is there a way around it?

The only option I now have is to use a modal window like an Alert, but that does not give me the possibilities I need; I want to use a canvas to do custom painting. The canvas should be 'in front' of the background of the phone, i.e., in front of the wallpaper, icons, time, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I am developing on the S60 SDK 3rd edition FP1, for the 6210 Nav phone. Have also tried the SDK 5th edition.

Geert.

Dear geert welcome to the forum nokia. Why do not you try to create custom control by extending class.

I presume that by control you mean eSWT control. The problem with a control is that it must have a parent control. The only control that doesn't need a parent is Shell, and I can't get a shell to appear non-maximized. That is my aim, for the top-level control to be non-maximized. I have tried most of the styles, but that didn't do much. I think its not possible.

My fix now is to have a top level shell with SWT.NO_BACKGROUND, and then put controls in that shell. They then appear as floating in front of your phone desktop.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Geert,

MIDlets usually have 2 modes of being painted on screen: fullscreen or not fullscreen mode.

To have your MIDlet painted in fullscreen, you have to use Canvas Displayables. On some devices, a little top bar with status indicators (as network signal, battery indicator, and so on) is still visible.

In normal mode, MIDlet will have less available space, and you'll have:
    * display top part taken by status indicators and other elements, like MIDlet icon and name
    * display bottom part taken by status bar with MIDlet commands

Does any of these match your requirements?

Pit

Thanks for the reply Jappit. The two modes do not match my requirements unfortunately. My application must start with a small popup window that the user can easily dismiss. This small popup window should not be maximized - too intrusive. It must however contain a canvas for custom painting.

But for now I think I can work with the fix I described earlier.

Nokia Developer Expert

I guess you are trying to implement something like a Splash Screen. I have just added a splash screen example using eSWT to wiki. http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Screen_in_eSWT

Hello

I'm working on an application to stay on the screen as a small always on top window (like status bars and virtual keyboard).

gorkem.ercan, thank you for the example, it is a great deal helpful but not enough since Splash Screen goes diactivated and invisible when, for example, screen is tapped outside Splash Screen.

I tried to add event handlers to the shell and filter to the display object making them set doit property of events to false and call forceActivate, but there was no use of it. Is there any workarownds?

I know what I need can be done with C++ and system API, but it's cumbersome, and I'm interesting in a java solution.

Super Contributor

A MIDP application cannot share the screen with other applications (except for the status bar). What you describe cannot realistically be done.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Thank you
    It seems like I have to write on C++.