Discussion Board

Hybrid View

RDA and QWERTY keyboard?

Hi,
    today I tried the RDA for the first time - nice service! I was able to get my midlet up and running on Nokia 6220 Classic. However, when trying the E61 I expected to see a full QWERTY-keyboard? Does anybody know if RDA handles phones with QWERTY-keyboard or is it limited to models with 'multitap' keyboard?
    rgds,
    Dagfinn

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: RDA and QWERTY keyboard?

I have not tried, but as I see, neither of the two: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...hlight=e61+rda says you can use your PC keyboard.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yup, no "onscreen" qwerty keyboard has been implemented on RDA for E61/E63/E70/E71... You'll need to use PC keyboard for inserting non-numeric values. There are a couple of known issues on our "todo list" related to function keys on these devices though, but most things should work ok.

Hi all
    Using the PC Keyboard on devices with qwerty keyboards may allow developers to perform some testings, but not always and not all. In particular, when testing J2ME applications, it is impossible to do some tests with precision involving keystrokes.
    It would be of great help that the keyboard of each device would be available.
    Thanks and congratulations for such a really great tool for developers!
    Best regards
    Pirer

Regular Contributor

Hello RDA-Maintainers,

I also just wanted to test my j2me-app with a qwerty keyboard. Things like this are exactly the reason why to use RDA.
    You need it because some devices are a little different than others, and to handle these little differences.
    so I hope you put support for the different keyboards higher on your to-do list.

Regards

Karsten Meier

Regular Contributor

True. Not having the actual key layout of the device is a big shortcoming. Someone should tell that to Digia.