Discussion Board

Question VoipCall with N79?

Hi,
    has anyone got the built in VoipClient working on the N79?
    I have my own Asterisk SIP server I would like to connect to,
    but so far, no luck. Here is what I did:
    1) Installed the latest and greatest SIPVoipSettings.
    2) The "Advanced Voip Settings" along with the "Voip Services", "NAT firewall settings" and some other IMS menues appeared
    3) Adjusted Profile settings to match the ones I have in a softclient (that works with my SIP server!), such at media ports,
    DTMF, Session interwalls etc)
    4) Created a SIP profile with my Registrar address, user name and password.
    5) Connected the SIP profile with my VoipProvider settings
    6) Connected to my home WLAN with the terminal. It works to surf
    the web.
    7) Changed the SIP settings to "Register" ---> Only in the home network and "Standard connection point" ---> My home WLAN

Now, the problem is that as soon as I leave the "SIP settings" menu the status changes to "Not Registered" at once!??? It does not even try to send any REGISTER. I run a trace on the LAN
    and nothing. No SIP messages are send anywhere. Why does it not try to register? And of course "internet call" does not work since there is no registration.
    Have I forgotten some important setting in the connectivity area that makes the SIP think there is no network?
    Any ideas are appreciated.
    Best Regards /niclas

Re: VoipCall with N79?

Did WLAN icon appear to the top right corner after leaving "SIP settings" menu? Is the behavior same if you set your WLAN AP as "Default access point" and use "always on" in Registration setting?

Exclamation Re: VoipCall with N79?

Yes, the WLAN icon is there and there is no difference if using Registration always or only in the home-network.
    I also tried the "Predefined destination" (not sure about the english translation, my phone is in Swedish) set to "Internet" and having my accesspoint in the "Internet" group.
    Still no difference. Nothing in the "10 last SIP messages". Is there any other errorlog I can look at?
    Hrmpf, I selected this phone because I wanted the integrated Voip client not any external program like Fring...

Now I also tried to register over HSDPA (3G) and the same happens there, SIP jumps to "Not possible to register" at once.
    Me confused...

Hi again,
    after some further research I have found that if I create a
    SIP profile it is able to REGISTER fine to my Asterisk server,
    both over WLAN and HSDPA.
    But, as soon as I associate the just created SIP profile, that registers fine, with my "VoipService" (in VoipSettings) it immediatelly changes to NOT REGISTERED.
    It seems like something is broken between the VoipService and the SIP profile.
    Ideas anyone?
    BR /n

I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems to establish a VoipCall with the N79.
    When I create a new SIP profile, I also immediately get the message "Not registered" or "Registration failed".
    I'm suspecting it to be an error in the firmware.
    Or is there someone out there that managed to make a VoipCall on a N79?

Nokia Developer Champion

Not sure what the previous links added?
    Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it all works fine now.
    Must have been a glitch inte the VoipSettings sis installation file. I simply deleted the Voip settings that the script made and created a new set of them. Voila! Works like a charm with the old SIP-settings. Can make Voipcalls both over 3G and WLAN.
    Only wish the latency over 3G would improve...

Hi eranicl

I too am attempting to connect my N79 to our own Asterisk sip server over a private wireless network without success.
    The standard sip server setting profiles appears to have all the necesary settings that are needed but I keep getting "registration failed".
    Do I need to download any other software and would you share your settings on the N79 with me.

Regards

Puffer