Discussion Board

[Moved] Problems with the contacts on my 6500 slide

First, i would like to say hello, since is my first post here, and to apologize if my English is not very good.

I recently bought a Nokia 6500 slide and i`m very pleased, except one thing.
    I used to have some other phones, and all my contacts were on the memory of that phone (not on the SIM).
    For me to have my contacts on the 6500 slide, i had to move all those contacts on the sim, then insert the sim into the 6500 slide and move them again from there to the phone memory (i hate having my contacts on the sim couse i can't add any aditional info).

Ok, so.. after i moved all my contacts to the phone memory, i saw that from about 200 contacts, i only have about 20. At first i thought "ok, there was a problem with the moving process and i lost them all..." I was just about getting over this, when I realized that those numbers that I lost are still in there, but i can't see them.

If I manualy enter a number of a contact that don't show in my Contacts List, when it dials, the number appears on the screen. Same if that contact calls me. I can't see them in the Contact List tho.
    It's like there are hidden or something..

I tried changing the settings so that i can see only the contacts in the SIM (in which case, none apear), only in the phone (only those 20 or so appear) or showing both (still, only 20 or so appear).

The contacts are not in the SIM couse i tried putting the sim back in the old phone, and it's empty.

They must be somewhere in the phone. Is there a hidden setting that i can find, that allows me to see those contacts that I thought I lost? It's very annoying to wait till someone calls me so I can add his number again in the phonebook

To be more specific, let me give an example.
    Let's say I had contact "John" with the number "12345678". Now I can't see it anymore.
    If i dial 12345678 and then hit "Call", it apears like "Calling John"

If John calls me, it apears like "John" on the screen.

If i try to add John to the phone book I get a message like "A name is already entered for that number"

It's like... all the contacts are already there, but I can't see them

Can someone help me please... I`m really desperate

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problems with the contacts on my 6500 slide

Unfortunately it is a real issue, some (many?) S40 devices appear to refuse storing multiple numbers that would "match". And matching is decided via comparing the last 7 digits.
    The other bad news is that such kind of issue can not be fixed at home, Nokia has to make some steps, issue new firmware or at least re-think this aspect for future devices.

Ok, i somehow understand that, but on what criteria did the phone kept only those 20 numbers.

I had, let's say, the name "Robert" and it wasnt any other entry in the phonebook that was alike, but the phone won't show the name

Like I said in the initial post, they wern't deleted, they are somehow hidden. when they call me, the name appears on the screen, but i can't see that entry in the phonebook.

can i do something to at least save those contacts on the SIM?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Oh, that seems to be different issue (bug?). Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with S40 devices, but you can ask around on end-user support sites, like http://discussions.europe.nokia.com, where it might have been already discussed (and it may be also known if certain firmware version fixes the problem).