Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Samsung i8510 - Cant install the app?

Hi,

I am using Samsung i8510, which claimes to be S60 3rd FP2. But when i try to install the helloworld app on this device, it says "Unable to install", but the same application gets install on other Nokia devices.

Please help.

Regards,
    Jupitar

Regular Contributor

Re: Samsung i8510 - Cant install the app?

i am trying with S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1.. please give me any pointer why its failing..

Super Contributor

Hi,

Samsung GT-I8510 FP2 SDK should be good.
    1/ Were you able to install any other application e.g. HelloWorld or some freeware?

2/ Is it Symbian signed or you have signed it with developer certificate (did you add the Samsung IMEI to certificate request)?

3/ Can you post pkg?

BR
    STeN

Super Contributor

Which capabilities are you using?
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Nokia Developer Moderator

Please note that for issues that might be specific to Samsung devices the best location where you can find the answer could be http://innovator.samsungmobile.com and their developer discussion boards at http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/b...4&menuId=F0401
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Which capabilities are you using?
    None

1/ Were you able to install any other application e.g. HelloWorld or some freeware?
    No, i couldnt even install helloworld as said in first post only . I tried screenshot utility sis, which got installed.

2/ Is it Symbian signed or you have signed it with developer certificate (did you add the Samsung IMEI to certificate request)?
    Developer self signed

3/ Can you post pkg?
    ; helloworldbasic_gcce.pkg
    ;
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &EN,FI,ZH,JA

; standard SIS file header
    #{"HelloWorldBasic", "HelloWorldBasic", "HelloWorldBasic", "HelloWorldBasic"},(0xA000017F),1,0,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN", "Vendor-FI", "Vendor-ZH", "Vendor-JA"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"S60ProductID", "S60ProductID", "S60ProductID", "S60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    "..\..\..\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\HelloWorldBasic.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\HelloWorldBasic.exe"

{
    "..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\HelloWorldBasic.rsc"
    "..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\HelloWorldBasic.r09"
    "..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\HelloWorldBasic.r31"
    "..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\HelloWorldBasic.r32"
    } -"!:\resource\apps\HelloWorldBasic.rsc"

"..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\import\apps\HelloWorldBasic_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\HelloWorldBasic_reg.rsc"
    "..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\helloworldbasic_aif.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\helloworldbasic_aif.mif"

;required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    "backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\A000017F\backup_registration.xml"
    Last edited by jupitar; 2008-11-21 at 20:51.

Super Contributor

This sounds like you are trying to install the unsigned sis file and not the sis file signed with the self signed certifcate
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Todd View Post
    This sounds like you are trying to install the unsigned sis file and not the sis file signed with the self signed certifcate
    no Paul.Todd, I am using my developer certificate only to sign the app. and the same sisx file is getting installed on Nokia devices.

Regular Contributor

Here is more experiments i did, but no use.

* Installed SAMSUNG SDK EXTENSION FOR S60 3RD EDITION FP2.
    a very wierd thing, FP2, SDK was installed as C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1\Epoc32, but this SDK got installed at C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1\Samsung_3_2_v1\epoc32 - why shouldnt it overwrite the S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1, with custom binaries only.

OK - no issues, thats not my problem.. so I did the follwoing

* build helloworld again, consider S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1\Epoc32\ as base - no difference in the result
    * build again Samsung_3_2_v1\epoc32 as base - no difference
    * copied Samsung_3_2_v1\epoc32 over S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1\Epoc32- no difference

I have tried installing the app from PC studio, installed from copied to Phone Memory, Memory card, but everytime the same result "Unable to install"

Please let me know what else i am missing.

Regards,
    Jupitar

Regular Contributor

here is how i am creating the keys for self

makekeys -cert -password jlt123 -len 2048 -dname "CN=xxx OU=development" mk.key mc.cer

is anything wrong with this key/cer... works fine for NOKIA phones

Regular Contributor

any insights/advice please?

The name of the site is Forum Nokia, and according to your posts, the application works on Nokia devices. It is really hard to give good guesses about a product which people around here simply do not know.
    You can check what kind of settings the Application Manager of Samsung devices has.
    You have been suggested to check Samsung's own developer forum. Have you done that. You are telling that you are using a devcert, but a bit later you show generation of a self-signed certificate. Now which?
    You should find out the role of the 'extra' epoc32 folder, you may consider migrating it into the 'main' epoc32 folder (possibly after doing a backup).
    And you can also try what happens, if you use Open-Signed Online (instead of self-signing) from www.symbiansigned.com

Regular Contributor

Hi Wizard_hu_

thanx for reminding, like its forum for nokia devices

I post this message here, bcoz it is linked with S60 3rd Ed FP2. and i have posted the same questions on samsung forum as well
    http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/b...3562&boardId=1

But i am not gettng any resolution from any where. So i keep doing the suggestions and experiments and updating this thread, so that it can make the problem more clear to the readers.
    i have devcert, which doesnt even work. Then i tried with the self certificate, problem still persist. So i asked whether is something wrong with the self sing certificate? so if anyone knows any problem with this kind of syntax, let me know and so i can imporve it more and can make my application work.

And yes, i missed one thing, open signed online, i will try doing it and will post the result.

Hmm, according to a recent thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=149925, you may benefit from reducing the number of languages you support.

Nokia Developer Champion

If nothing works then give a try with appending UID3 as a suffix for each files to be deployed on device. I encountered same problem "Unable to Install. Component is built in." on S60 3rd FP2 device. I just appended UID3 as suffix and it worked.

You should create HelloWorld GUI application from Carbide.c++ and it will by default contain UID3 as suffix for the files to be deployed on phone to avoid possible name clashes. Just create one and install it on your phone.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team