Discussion Board

How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

Is there any way for step-by-step debugging QT app on S60 emulator, can carbide.c++ or QT creator help do this?

Thx in adv!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

Once you have your bld.inf import the project in Carbide.c++ and run/debug the project as usual.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Once you have your bld.inf import the project in Carbide.c++ and run/debug the project as usual.
    Nice! I'll have a try, thanks.

Regular Contributor

Let's remember that Qt is always native so Qt apps on S60 are actually Symbian apps.

For more info have a look at f.ex http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...s_Library.html

Cheers,
    Jack

jp4symbian

Question Re: How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

hey folks,
    So does this mean that it is not possible to debug a Symbian application on the Qt creator?

Hi harry_zhang,

Were you able to achieve this?

Regular Contributor

My understanding is that the link between Creator and Symbian debugging is still experimental, so the most reliable way to do it is to import the project into Carbide and debug from there. But importing is almost trivially simple in this case -- File -> Import ->Qt Project, and point at the .pro file in your Creator directory.

However, there is a high degree of compatibility between "big box" Qt and Qt for Symbian, so for the most part you can debug on Creator, SO LONG AS YOU RESTRICT THE SCREEN SIZE TO THE SIZE OF A PHONE SCREEN when developing the GUI. Also, you'll find that all your buttons and widgets are too close together (and hence some redesign is needed) once you get them on the real device, but that's a learning curve thing.

jp4symbian

Post Re: How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

hey markboost,

Importing to Carbide is definitely an option but I just wanted to know if it can be done with Qt Creator too.
    I did not understand what you meant in the second part of your post. Could you please elaborate on the screen size part?

Actually the "Debug" option is disabled in Qt Creator so I can't figure out how to go about it. Most of the posts say that debugging on emulator is not possible in Qt Creator.

So I tried a hand with on-device debugging. I referred to this http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...ging_on_Device.
    But I am having problems in connecting the device and the PC with the help of TRK. Neither USB nor BT worked for me. Maybe some port mismatch. But I still haven't been able to figure out.

Super Contributor

Could you please elaborate on the screen size part?
    I mean, if you debug outside of the emulator, you can easily design an application that doesn't fit on the screen of the device you're targeting. And even if you are careful to limit the size of the screen, you'll discover that many of the controls become too small once you actually get them onto the hardware device. You need to get some experience under your belt before you can be good at designing a UI without a lot of trial and error on the device.

Most of the posts say that debugging on emulator is not possible in Qt Creator.
    Like I said, my understanding is that debugging under Creator is still (at best) experimental, and you can only accomplish it if you know some tricks. I gather that the long-term goal is to replace Carbide with Creator, but it hasn't happened yet, and isn't likely to in the next few months.

(I wasn't able to run even host debug under Creator either, due to the licensing snafu.)

Super Contributor

So I tried a hand with on-device debugging.
    I've had debugging on the device working, following, I think, the link you referenced. But it broke about a month ago (debugger complains about a bad connection) and I haven't been able to get it going again. So I mostly debug on the emulator and then just download through Ovi to make sure the code actually works on the device and experience its UI in "real life".

jp4symbian

Thumbs up Re: How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

hey danhicksbyron,

Thanks for the reply. I think I have understood the screen size part.

As for the debugging, I have successfully done on-device debugging using Carbide. This link was really useful & solved my problem of port mismatch:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=163093

I know that emulator debugging on Qt Creator is still evolving and on-device debugging configuration is quite a pain (since I couldn't manage it!).
    So will use Carbide till then

Regular Contributor

I have to say that debugging Qt Apps on S60 works fine here in creator.

jp4symbian

Question Re: How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

Hey axeljaeger,

Are you successfully able to debug Qt apps for S60 on the emulator in Qt Creator?

I tried to do so but in vain. I followed the instructions on http://doc.trolltech.com/qtcreator-1...debugging.html
    I am using Windows so installed the "Debugging tools for Windows". Now the Debug option is enabled in my Qt Creator.

But it just builds the project & does not start the emulator. Could you please guide me as to where am I going wrong?

Regular Contributor

No, I debug them on the device in creator.

jp4symbian

Post Re: How to debug QT app on S60 emulator?

Could you please give me few details as to what SDK, device, build config. etc you are using.
    And what steps did u follow to configure the on-device debugging.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had some port related issues due to which I cudn't manage the debugging. It would be really nice if you can share the process you followed.

Regular Contributor

I use QtCreator 1.3.0, S60 5th Edition SDK and Qt 4.6.0 for Symbian. I installed APP TRK on my Symbian Phone using Carbide C++ but there should be a way to install TRK without installing carbide. Then I start APP TRK on my phone, select USB connection, connect the phone to my computer and add a new run configuration in Creator and set this config "active". Then I press "Run" in creator and after some time, my application is launched on the phone.

Actually I run the whole environment in a Windows 7 Virtual Machine on my Macbook.