Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian certified signing concers

Hi,
    I want to go for certified signing for a application. Here are few of my concers. Please answer

1. By the time i developed the application i had used the UID's in my personal account. But for signing purpose I am supposed to use my company's account which is different from mine. Will it be an issue in signing process?

2. The application uses SMS functionality, but it does not ask for user permission before sending SMS.Will it be an issue in signing process?

3. Does your application initiate any of the following bearer or session capabilities with the network? (Example,starting a browser session*). This is a question needs to be answered in signing process. Actually my application uses S60's native browser application and CBtrlInterface object. Are these related?

4. Whats does it mean by personal or PIM data on device? Does that mean accessing the contact list on device?

Regs,
    Jinu

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian certified signing concers

Quote Originally Posted by jinuthomas View Post
    Hi,
    I want to go for certified signing for a application. Here are few of my concers. Please answer

1. By the time i developed the application i had used the UID's in my personal account. But for signing purpose I am supposed to use my company's account which is different from mine. Will it be an issue in signing process?
    There's a company field in your account profile, make sure to set it accordingly. Also, you may specify the company name as given in the publisher ID.

Then again, UIDs can be changed quite easily if you're careful with what you do.
    2. The application uses SMS functionality, but it does not ask for user permission before sending SMS.Will it be an issue in signing process?
    Check the testing criteria and obey them. If needed, ask for a waiver.
    3. Does your application initiate any of the following bearer or session capabilities with the network? (Example,starting a browser session*). This is a question needs to be answered in signing process. Actually my application uses S60's native browser application and CBtrlInterface object. Are these related?
    Well, you use browser control because you want to render content retrieved from the net (in this case answer Yes) or local content (in this case answer No)
    4. Whats does it mean by personal or PIM data on device? Does that mean accessing the contact list on device?

Regs,
    Jinu
    PIM = Personal Information Management, thus yes, that's what it means, your application accessing user's data (contacts, calendar, notes, ...)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

As per my understanding the signing process will evaluate with Sis file UID's associated Organization name with the Publisher ID's Org name. Is that right?

AFAIK, the UID needs to be allocated to the same account as is used for the signing.

Regular Contributor

The testing criteria does not say anything related to the alert while sending the SMS. But that question is asked during the signing process. If the answer is "No" , will the signing process fail?

Nokia Developer Champion

The testing criteria does not say anything related to the alert while sending the SMS. But that question is asked during the signing process. If the answer is "No" , will the signing process fail?
    No. You do not need to ask for the permission from user each time when you send an SMS. Solution is that you just need to popup one dialog query at installation time which states somewhat like "Application will send SMS and bla bla bla.... Do you want to continue?" This should work.

Search for FILETEXT in the SDK help or in the Wiki.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information. But i didnt get the proper answer. Actually my application used a share with friends functionality which sends SMS if user opt for that. But I m not showing any alert to the user. Should i show any alert? If not will signing fail?

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Symbian certified signing concers

Thanks for the information. But i didnt get the proper answer. Actually my application used a share with friends functionality which sends SMS if user opt for that. But I m not showing any alert to the user. Should i show any alert? If not will signing fail?
    Ok. I missed some points here. It was referred to as CON-02 test criteria in previous Symbian Signed Criteria where you needed to provide Privacy statement indicating that your application will use "Sensing SMS, MMS or bla bla" on launching your application. But in the new revised Test Criteria(3.0.2), it has been removed because it was considered as basic functionalities and people were applying for Waivers for such things and that's why such Test criteria have been removed in new test criteria.

So you need not to bother about such problem in getting your application Symbian Signed. And you can always ask beforehand to your preferred Test house for such an issues. They will help you for sure if you have any ambiguity.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

I guess it would be easier for everybody if you would just read the testing criteria and then ask about specific issues you think are going to cause you problems during testing.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

I am using CBrCtlInterface::LoadFileL() API which leaks memory. Will that fails the memory leak test in signing process?

I am using CBrCtlInterface::LoadFileL() API which leaks memory. Will that fails the memory leak test in signing process?
    Is that a known issue? Don't think so.

If the memory leak is detected during testing you will have to justify it and without a confirmed KI it would be difficult to prove that.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Many people had reported the same issue in the forum. Even the S603rd edition FP1 SDK example application "BrCtlSampleApp" itsself gives memory leak due to LoadL API. Application shows "ALOC::" error" while exiting.

I've been assured by the R&D engineers that the memory leak of which you speak is emulator specific and that the problem does not exist on the phones.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot