Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

signing applications without UI

I am wondering will symbian sign (express or ceritfied) such application which uses ReadDeviceData and Location to:
    1) Log CellId's change and/or GPS data change to a file
    2) Send data to server using gprs (automaticly, once a day for exaple)

It is possible to display ANY security or license warnings to user only during install, and after that application needs to be completely invisible.

I am new to symbian signed, and that's why I have following questions:

1) Is it possible at all to sign such an application?
    2) If yes, can I use express signed?
    3) If yes, what will happen if symbian will choose my application by random to look closer on it?
    4) If no, what can I do to get it signed?

Remarks
    * The only billable event - using GPRS to transfer data to server. I'll put A LOT OF WARNINGS in configuration app (which cannot be runned from user menu (only during installation))
    * I am going to share location data to another application through (do not know yet, can you suggest?)...something, and that application will show last logged cellid to user, etc. And I didnt finished that app yet.
    * Gonfiguring app will include filling in username/password, data send rate, and if needed all kind of warnings.
    * As for user privacy - there are only two things involved - imei and location.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: signing applications without UI

Quote Originally Posted by StasV View Post
    1) Is it possible at all to sign such an application?
    Yes, it is possible.
    2) If yes, can I use express signed?
    Yes, you can.
    3) If yes, what will happen if symbian will choose my application by random to look closer on it?
    Then your application is going to be tested in the 'usual' way.
    The details you list do not really matter here and now. From signing point of view what is important is that your application has to comply with the requirements accessible on the SymbianSigned site. You should read both the guide and the test criteria from www.symbiansigned.com

Regular Contributor

So I can sign almost everything?
    Can I sign for example apllication which will provide base stations data to other applications (even self-signed)?

Will symbian signed testers sign such an application on certified signed?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by StasV View Post
    So I can sign almost everything?
    Can I sign for example apllication which will provide base stations data to other applications (even self-signed)?

Will symbian signed testers sign such an application on certified signed?
    There should not be any such problem. Test houses are there for this purpose. Just go through the test criteria before submitting your application for Symbian Signing.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Does symbian test criteria include any restrictions on "extracting" capability I need to the separate process? I really can't get the moment when "capability extracted to separate process" becomes usefull application which can be signed easily (I must provide an explanation, right?)

Are you talking about a server leaking capabilities to its clients?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Probably. Such kind of application will not be signed? And when do such leaking becomes resonable? (Or maybe symbian os prevent processes with different capabilities to communicate with each other?)

Plarform Security is enforced at server level and it the responsability of server developers to ensure that capabilities are not leaked. Aside from that, of course, processes with different capability sets can communicate with each other.

The questions are:
    - why would you leak the capability?
    - why would Symbian Signed agree with that?

If you think you have a good enough answer to the above questions then go ahead with your project.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Finally! You get my IDEA!!!
    I have GUI which uses ReadDeviceData capability to log cellid changes.
    Now I have to log changes even if GUI isn't running. So, GUI now don't really need that capa, because server application already logged everything. So I do not need to sign GUI, just server application. Will this reason be enough for symbian testers, and if not, what else can I do to get everything working and signed?

I would guess that SymbianSigned people would be more convinced if you would secure communication between the server and the client via checking VendorId/SecureId.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I would guess that SymbianSigned people would be more convinced if you would secure communication between the server and the client via checking VendorId/SecureId.
    Exactly, that would be an advisable security measure.

The capability would be leaked if the Server publishes an API which other developers can use to bypass the platform security settings. If you keep the said API private and only your clients can use that server then you are not leaking the capability.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

So I need to prevent applications of other deveopers to interfere with my server?

To achieve this I need to specify Secure Id in gui application. And by doing that (Just a guess) I prevent myself from self-signing my GUI?

Can I check by UID of my GUI application? Can I request it from my symbian account to be from unprotected range?

Regular Contributor

In other words I cannot have my GUI self-signed?

To beging with you need to study the Platform Security and the secure servers concept.

There is nothing stoping you from using an unprotected UID3/SID with your secure (and certified server).
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

I have found nothing definite on SID subject. I'm still googling for it.

But if looking from self-signed point of view, one can easily fake all necessary uids, if some self-signed application already uses signed server successfully. And why would he care that there are two apps in the world exists, mine and his with same ids?

I hope that I'm wrong, because I haven't got enough attempts to sign GUI, because it changes too often.