Discussion Board

Thread: Software codec

Software codec

Hi,

I wish to write a software video codec for S60. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Some examples or documentation will be helpful.

Regards

Murthy

Super Contributor

Re: Software codec

try searching for "MMF controller plugin" for example application "Ogg Player" it is audio plugin AFIK same will be for video too

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. After posting the message I did some research but it seems like some MDF API or something like that is required but I cannot find any references to that. Can anybody tell me what MDF means and also somebody tell me if I am looking in the right direction.

Regards

Murthy

Super Contributor

you can find the details here http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...cordClass.html but AFIK this API has been moved to Symbian partnering API after Symbian V9.x. Still you can contact Nokia Support for more information about this.

Hi,

If your username reflects the company you are working for then you should be able to access all the examples that Symbian provides with the latest versions of the OS. There is an AVI software codec example in (I think) v9.5 onwards and a controller plug-in to go with it. You could ask on the SDN++ to get pointed in the right direction.

MDF is the Media Device Framework. You should probably note that it is being replaced (although the interfaces will stay for backwards compatibility) with a new improved multimedia architecture in v9.5/6 of the OS. You don't need the MDF to write a software codec though.

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery