Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smile Larger memory heap, please

When you're making graphic-intense midlets, it's not so nice that 240x320 devices (5310 XpressMusic, 6500 classic, etc.) have the same heap size as 128x160 devices (3110 classic, 5200, etc.).

It should be common knowledge that a higher resolution also requires more memory.

This in effect also blocks me from caching Canvas-instances, which is correct optimization when you know the user must return to the cached screen.

Instead there's no memory for caching, and all data needs to be loaded again - which might please the network operators, but it's certainly a costly affair for my poor users.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Larger memory heap, please

Hi Steel_BRS,

data caching can actually be achieved without caching whole Canvas instances (that will take a lot of memory, due to all the graphic data) but keeping in memory only sensitive data, avoiding the need to download it again.

Then, if Java heap is not enough to even keep in memory this data, you can try by using RMS/FileConnection API to implement some more complex caching mechanism.

Hope it helps,
    Pit

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: Larger memory heap, please

Thanks, Pit, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    data caching can actually be achieved without caching whole Canvas instances (that will take a lot of memory, due to all the graphic data) but keeping in memory only sensitive data, avoiding the need to download it again.
    Almost all of the memory used is for the product image, I load via. HTTP, so I really don't think there's much space saving possible here.

Then, if Java heap is not enough to even keep in memory this data, you can try by using RMS/FileConnection API to implement some more complex caching mechanism.
    Puh ... that sounds slow. I've previously used JSR-75 to make screenshots, and that was terribly slow - possibly even slower than loading the image via. HTTP again.

All my Nokia handsets have 2MB heap space. All my Sony Ericsson handsets only have 1MB, but somehow they manage not to produce OutOfMemoryErrors. How can that be?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Larger memory heap, please

Hi Steel_BRS,

memory management is differently implemented from different JVM, and this could be the reason behind your OutOfMemory exceptions. Using RMS/FileConnection could be surely slow, specially for large data, but it's often the only option, if you would like to avoid extra network traffic to the user. Unfortunately, we have to live with this Java heap around

About your image: have you tried caching only its bytes, without caching the whole Image object? Not sure it could help, but could be worth a try..

Pit

Regular Contributor

Wink Re: Larger memory heap, please

Hi Pit

memory management is differently implemented from different JVM, and this could be the reason behind your OutOfMemory exceptions.
    Yeah after I wrote that post yesterday, I saw that the headline shouldn't be 'Larger memory heap, please'.
    It should be 'Better utilization of memory, please' :-)

About your image: have you tried caching only its bytes, without caching the whole Image object? Not sure it could help, but could be worth a try..
    Nah, if I start down this path to the dark side, I'll end up with unmaintainable code. My solution is just to catch these OutOfMemoryErrors and write 'No memory for (whatever)'.

/Torben 'Steel' Vesterager