Discussion Board

Thread: Key management

Regular Contributor

Key management

Hi,
    in my application I am using the class Canvas with the method public final void keyPressed(int i1) and CommandListener.
    My application can be navigating the joistick and I implemented Canvas.UP, Canvas.DOWN and Canvas.FIRE, but on some phones (expecially the ones without OS) when the commandListener is implemented the FIRE button doesn't work and I need to use KEY_NUM5 button.
    this is a wrong issue, I think. In this way user get confused, even more, I guess it's not ok that my FIRE button stop working.
    May this be caused by a conflict between keyPressed and CommandListener?
    chia_84

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Key management

Quote Originally Posted by chia_84 View Post
    Hi,
    in my application I am using the class Canvas with the method public final void keyPressed(int i1) and CommandListener.
    My application can be navigating the joistick and I implemented Canvas.UP, Canvas.DOWN and Canvas.FIRE, but on some phones (expecially the ones without OS) when the commandListener is implemented the FIRE button doesn't work and I need to use KEY_NUM5 button.
    this is a wrong issue, I think. In this way user get confused, even more, I guess it's not ok that my FIRE button stop working.
    May this be caused by a conflict between keyPressed and CommandListener?
    chia_84

Why do not you use just 5 insted of Canvas.FIRE. It will not create any confusion.

Regular Contributor

Because all other functions are performed with the joistick and I do not see why I should use KEY_NUM5 button as FIRE as it is not intuitive to the user.

chia_84

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Key management

Hi,
    That should not be happen,
    Are you getting the correct code for that key.
    With which device you are working with,
    Thanks,
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

I get the correct code would not otherwise explain why in other classes where I implement Canvas.FIRE without CommandListener works

Super Contributor

This is to be expected.

I recommend that you do not use getGameAction(). It does tend to give inconsistent results. No rule says that dpad-centre has be "FIRE".

Behaviour (and even keycode) of keys other than 0-9, * and # can vary between different canvas types (Canvas, Canvas (FullScreenMode) and Nokia FullCanvas). Behaviour can also vary when Command objects or a CommandListener are bound to the Canvas.

You will have confusing results across different devices, if you mix keyPressed() and commandAction(), when you are using a key that can produce both events (even if no Command is bound to that key).

Cheers,
    Graham.