Discussion Board

Question Nokia OS - device list

I came across this page on the nokia site which lists devices which run different editions of S40 and S60 systems.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/matrix_all_1.html

I am wondering what happened to the old nokia phones which cannot run java at all -- where can I get a list of them? All the ones listed here seem to run some version of java (midp 1.0, cldc 1.0).

PS: I titled this post as Nokia OS device list, assuming these old phones run some proprietary nokia OS.

thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Nokia OS - device list

Hi,

Can you tell why do you need the list of the phones that dont run java at all? Anyways for your question I dont remember the exact model but I think it is N810 which has Maemo platform and it does not support MIDP and CLDC.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Quote Originally Posted by sunil_bhambani123 View Post
    Hi,

Can you tell why do you need the list of the phones that dont run java at all? Anyways for your question I dont remember the exact model but I think it is N810 which has Maemo platform and it does not support MIDP and CLDC.
    1. if someone tells me over the phone I have this model of nokia, will I be able to run your app, this info would help me answer him.

2. there are only 3 devices under maemo platform. What about other nokia platforms that do not support java - what are they?

Regular Contributor

Hi,

If the client tells you to look whether his handset support your application or not then you can check by looking at device specifications and if he can do that on his own then its best for you too.

Anyways you will mention in your application's documentation that the supported handsets will be the one which have Java in their mobile.

Otherwise you have to look at the device specifications of handset and see which are the handsets that dont have Java in it. Moreover Java is not only supported by Nokia but by most of the manufacturers.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Nokia OS - device list

Hi,
    Well a good discussion so far...
    I would say that more than 90% market includes the handsets those highly support java.However if you are developing a application then first you will list the targeted devices then you will move forward..simply you can check that whether this is a targeted device or not..

@ The person to whom you gonna sold your application, you will give him with a documentation or at least tell him that you can run this on these these devices..simple..

@ Right now not sure ..I would say that think about the major..not minor..where you can do ..not where you cannot do..since this information you are asking is not is critical as you think..,
    Thanks
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Got it guys - if it's not in this list, it doesnt support java -- is it fair to assume this?

Super Contributor

Quite likely to be the case with high accuracy. If the device is listed there and stated to have Java support, then it has Java. If the device is not listed, it means no Java.