Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Settings to be done to add my own gateway

Hi,

Iam using a nokia n95 and have a nokia webserver running on my phone.
    I have my own raccoon gateway installed on the pc and not using the nokia gateway.
    Can anyone tell me a way to change the gateway settings on the phone as rite now it takes mymobilesite.net as its default gateway and iam not able to find a place to change the gateway to raccon gateway.

Regards,
    vijaya.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Settings to be done to add my own gateway

Quote Originally Posted by viji19812001 View Post
    Iam using a nokia n95 and have a nokia webserver running on my phone.
    I have my own raccoon gateway installed on the pc and not using the nokia gateway.
    Can anyone tell me a way to change the gateway settings on the phone as rite now it takes mymobilesite.net as its default gateway and iam not able to find a place to change the gateway to raccon gateway.
    Although conceptually similar, the MWS and Raccoon gateways are protocol and implementation wise completely different. That is, you cannot use MWS for connecting to the Raccoon gateway.

However, you can install a so-called Raccoon connector that together with the Raccoon gateway provide your phone with a domain name and with HTTP access to it.

If you then start MWS in local mode, you can access it using the Raccoon provided domain name and connectivity.

Currently there is no pre-built SIS-package of the Raccoon connector, but the source code is available at SourceForge and can easily be built. Please let me know if you can build S60 software and I'll provide more detailed instructions.

Br,
    Johan

Hi,

Thanx....

Just to reconfirm what you have told:

I cannot connect using a nokia web server to the raccon gateway which I have installed.

Raccoon has a .sis file which i need to install in the phone and enter a Raccoon userid and pwd and then I can connect to the Raccoon gateway.
    I hope this is what u have mentioned.

Also my N95 has the nokia webserver installed so if i try installing the raccoon sis file it gives an error "symbian OS 1.1 required."
    but the phone already has a symbian OS 1.3 present as nokia webserver had installed along with it.

Do we need to uninstall nokia web server software before I install the raccoon .sis file Please suggest.

Regards,
    vijaya.

Nokia Developer Expert

I cannot connect using a nokia web server to the raccon gateway which I have installed.
    That's correct.

Raccoon has a .sis file which i need to install in the phone and enter a Raccoon userid and pwd and then I can connect to the Raccoon gateway. I hope this is what u have mentioned.
    Almost. There is a component you need to install, but it is not available as a prebuilt sis, but you need to build it yourself.

Do we need to uninstall nokia web server software before I install the raccoon .sis file.
    No, but you need to install just the connectivity part of Raccoon. The Raccoon sis you probably are referring to contains files that are in conflict with files already installed by MWS, which is the reason why you get the error message.

Here's how you build the connectivity component yourself. First you must install a S60 SDK. Any version should be fine.
    Then:
    Code:
    > svn co https://raccoon.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/raccoon/phone/tags/release-1.0.1/phone/raccoon

> cd raccoon\connector\group
    raccoon\connector\group> bldmake bldfiles
    raccoon\connector\group> abld build gcce urel
    raccoon\connector\group> cd ..\sis
    raccoon\connector\sis> make PLATFORM=gcce BUILD=urel CERTIFICATE=certificate-file KEY=key-file PASSPHRASE=your-passphrase sisx
    raccoon\connector\sis> cd ..\s60\connectorui\sis
    raccoon\connector\s60\connectorui\sis> make PLATFORM=gcce BUILD=urel CERTIFICATE=certificate-file KEY=key-file PASSPHRASE=your-passphrase sisx
    A self-signed certificate is fine for the signing.

Then you install the created connector_gcce_urel.sisx and connectorui_gcce_urel.sisx files.

After the installation you'll find a Connector application. Start that and then via [Options]->[Settings] configure it for your gateway. You need to set Identifier, Password and Gateway.

Use [Options]->[Go Online] to go online.

The Raccoon connector will deliver HTTP requests to any web-server listening on port 80 (or some other if you change the port). Thus, if MWS is running, the requests will be delivered to it.

Note that nothing prevents you from simultaneously being connected via MWS to the MWS gateway and via the Raccoon connector to the Raccoon gateway, in which case your mobile will have two domain names; one provided by MWS and one by Raccoon.

Br,
    Johan

Hi Johan,

That information was quite useful and now at least i know what to do .Let me rephrase the steps u have mentioned to make myself clear.

Please correct where ever wrong.

Step1:
    I should install any version of S60 SDK on the phone.

Step2:
    Code for connectivity is to done on the PC where the gateway is installed.
    Do we need to do the command svn co https://raccoon.svn.sourceforge.net/.../phone/raccoon on the PC or phone?
    As this command is dumping all the Raccoon files on the PC.
    Other commands following it are giving errors so just wanted to know if any settings needs to be done on the PC before using them.

Step3:
    The created connector_gcce_urel.sisx and connectorui_gcce_urel.sisx files needs to installed on the phone and the gateway settings ,username and pwd needs to be given there on the phone.

The raccoon gateway has an interface to create userid so I would be using those on the phone to connect to my gateway.

Step4:
    And when I try going online on the phone ...it should connect to my gateway as the port of my gateway is set to 80.

Hope my sequence is correct.

One more small doubt is what is the self signed certificate which u have mentioned.
    Is it that I need to have a file certificate-file which has the certificate and then run the command mentioned by u for creating the connector.

Sorry for dumping too many questions on u .

Regards,
    vijaya
    Last edited by viji19812001; 2008-11-28 at 04:57.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi vijaya

Step1:
    I should install any version of S60 SDK on the phone.
    No, you should install a S60 SDK on your PC. It is needed for building the software (to be installed on the phone).

Step2:
    Code for connectivity is to done on the PC where the gateway is installed.
    Do we need to do the command svn co https://raccoon.svn.sourceforge.net/.../phone/raccoon on the PC or phone?
    On the PC. The command will download the Raccoon source-code to your PC. You will get a fair amount of unnecessary stuff as well, but that you can ignore.
    Step3:
    The created connector_gcce_urel.sisx and connectorui_gcce_urel.sisx files needs to installed on the phone and the gateway settings ,username and pwd needs to be given there on the phone.
    Yes

The raccoon gateway has an interface to create userid so I would be using those on the phone to connect to my gateway.
    Exactly

Step4:
    And when I try going online on the phone ...it should connect to my gateway as the port of my gateway is set to 80.
    It should connect to the gateway using the port you have configured.

Hope my sequence is correct.

It was almost correct

However, it appears to me that you have not developed software for Symbian before. Since there is quite a threshold, I think it would be easier if I just built those components and uploaded them as pre-built to SourceForge. I will do that next week.

Johan

Hi Johan,

Thanks a lot for ur continous support....

I have installed SDK on the PC and when I tried issuing the connectivity code for creating the .sis file ,It gives an error for the certificate file.
    Could you please explain how we need to create a self signed certificate for this and where it needs to be stored before running the command.

Error as shown below:

make PLATFORM=gcce BUILD=urel CERTIFICATE=certificate-file KEY=key-file PASSPHRASE=your-passphrase sisx

makesis connector_gcce_urel.pkg connector_gcce_urel.sis
    Processing connector_gcce_urel.pkg...
    Created connector_gcce_urel.sis
    signsis connector_gcce_urel.sis connector_gcce_urel.sisx certificate-file key-file your-passphrase
    file I/O fault, cannot open certificate-file.
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\tools\make.exe: *** [connector_gcce_urel.sisx]
    Error 1

Regards,
    vijaya.
    Last edited by viji19812001; 2008-12-02 at 07:39.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

Could you please explain how we need to create a self signed certificate for this and where it needs to be stored before running the command.
    You can find instructions for creating a self-signed certificate here.

But I have now also uploaded built and signed sis-files of the Raccoon connector to SourceForge. Look under release PS_1_00_0.

Johan

Hi Johan,

That was a great help

I installed both the sisx files properly and there is a connector icon on the phone.
    I filled in all the settings.

Entered the username and pwd created on the gateway.
    Gave the gateway address as my system ipaddress
    Gateway port 15001
    Rest didnt change.

Do we have to change the server or server port settings as it just says connecting and dosent connect to the gateway.

Just trying to figure out if some settings needs to be changed. Trying out various combinations.Hoping to get back to u on a positive note.

Do let me know if u feel iam doing some thing wrong.
    Regards,
    vijaya.
    Last edited by viji19812001; 2008-12-03 at 08:00.

Nokia Developer Expert

Do we have to change the server or server port settings as it just says connecting and dosent connect.
    The server and server port settings specify the location of the the web-server. Consequently, 127.0.0.1 is correct for a web-server that runs on your phone. The possibility to change the server address is there primarily for debugging reasons.

Do let me know if u feel iam doing some thing wrong.
    You seem to be doing everything right. If possible, try the setup over WLAN. The default port - 15001 - used in the communication between the connector and the gateway may be blocked in some operator networks.

Johan

Hi johan,

Actually a particular link states:

"Raccoon consists of two parts: a Symbian port of the Apache httpd web server and a "connector" that together with a gateway provides a mobile phone with a global name in the operator networks of today."

So now I have the connector .sis installed on the phone ,but the symbian port of the web server mentioned will be present in the nokia S60 phones by default or anything needs to be installed as iam still not able to connect to the gateway.
    Tried changing the gateway port to 80 and 8080 in the phone settings still doesn't seem to connect.

when I try accessing my gateway ipaddress on the browser I do get a default apache page correctly. I also get the default offline page for a user when i try accessing http://gatewayipddress/~username .so I feel the gateway is working fine. I have also turned off all the firewalls.

So I have the MWS gateway running and the sis files installed.So just wanted to check if iam missing some installations on the phone or any thing else needs to be running on the phone?

Another info which i got from the link http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro...ateway_Account is that we need to request for a raccoon user id and pwd .I thought we could create one from the site as it allows to login as admin and create accounts. So I have requested for that also ,will try with thier userid and see if it works.

Thanx

Regards,
    vijaya.
    Last edited by viji19812001; 2008-12-05 at 06:16.

Nokia Developer Expert

Sorry for not responding earlier.

So now I have the connector .sis installed on the phone ,but the symbian port of the web server mentioned will be present in the nokia S60 phones by default or anything needs to be installed as iam still not able to connect to the gateway.
    In order to get HTTP connectivity to the mobile, only the connector is needed on the mobile. The connector just delivers the HTTP request to anybody who happens to listen on port 80. And for the you need a web-server on the phone.

when I try accessing my gateway ipaddress on the browser I do get a default apache page correctly. I also get the default offline page for a user when i try accessing http://gatewayipddress/~username .so I feel the gateway is working fine. I have also turned off all the firewalls.
    So when you choose [Options]->[Go Online] from the connector UI, what does the State line display?

So I have requested for that also ,will try with thier userid and see if it works.
    I havn't checked that mailbox in a while, so you havn't received a response from there, yet

That userid and password that you get from there are for the Raccoon gateway that we are hosting here at Nokia Research Center. They don't affect your gateway in any way.

Br,
    Johan

Hi johan,

The nokia N95 has a inbuild mobile web server so do I need to have the web server running for the raccoon connector to connect to my gateway.

Regards,
    vijaya.

Nokia Developer Expert

The nokia N95 has a inbuild mobile web server so do I need to have the web server running for the raccoon connector to connect to my gateway.
    No, it need not be running for the connector to connect to your gateway.

Johan

Hi johan,

One great news...My gateway connects to the mobile ...Like as u said the port 15001 was blocked in our network when I changed it to 80 it worked beautifully .....

All credit goes to u!!!!!

But one issue is when we try going to the user's page
    ie http://gatewayip/~username it gives a offline page with a error below saying "Internal I/O error".

The same happens with the raccoon userid which u had sent me created in ur gateway. ie http://username.at.openlaboratory.net/

So can't we not access the individual page of the user...I presume it should give the features of the mobile when we are connected to the gateway via the phone. Correct me if wrong?

If true let me know what the issue is and how it could be resolved?

Thanx once again for answering all my questions patiently.

Regards,
    vijaya.
    Last edited by viji19812001; 2008-12-11 at 06:06.