Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

N95 camera distortion ?

I’m making full screen version of my AR Tower Defense game, and stumble at some strange problem. It seems to me the camera distortion is absent if I’m getting scaled down viewfinder image 240x180. If I’m getting full viewfinder image 320x240 it looks like some camera distortion creep in - seems markers getting distorted. I may have to calibrate camera, and that would create portability problem. The game will work only for N95 camera…

Re: N95 camera distortion ?

Hi,

What sort of distortion? With still images or only motion?

To be honest I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a little distortion around the edges - the optics are squeezed down so small in these thing...

Is it so bad that you can't "just" make the marker detection robust to a bit of noise/variation?

Sorcery

Regular Contributor

That's geometric distortion near edges. Single marker is not a problem, but with several markers geometry become inconsistent.
    What I'm trying to understand how distortion depend on the resolution. If lower resolution viewfined just cropped out of the bigger camera frame somehow, that would explain why it has less distortion.

Yes, I think small frames are generally cropped from the sensor rather than scaled down from the full resolution.

I'm not 100% certain on that but if it's consistent with what you're seeing that makes it a very likely explanation.

Sorcery

Regular Contributor

Actually I could have been wrong. Distortion could have been on the order of magnitude less then I previously thought. The problem with geometry inconsistency I'm having with bigger viewfinder frame could be caused some other reason. Actually what caused my presumed mistake was tis research on Nokia N95 camera calibration
    http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psyc...kia/index.html
    They got huge distortion estimation - like 3% of the screen width. I don't detect anything like this in 320x240 viewfinder. My upper bound is like .7% (though I didn't do complete calibration, just did some shots of rectangles).

Hi,

Well, if the image is much smaller than the full resolution (whether cropped from the centre or scaled down) then you wouldn't expect to see as much distortion...

.7% distortion sounds quite impressively small to me given the scale of the optics and the necessary size of sensor.

Personally though, I'd prefer it if they stuck with say 3MPix so that the physical pixels were larger and I didn't get so much noise in low light shots (which are most of the pictures I take).

Sorcery

Nokia Developer Expert

I am not exactly sure on what sort of distortion you are talking about...

What I can say is that all view finder sizes should have the same field-of-view i.e. smaller images are not cropped any more than bigger images are.
    Last edited by janza; 2008-12-02 at 13:18.
    janza

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by janza View Post
    I am not exactly sure on what sort of distortion you are talking about...
    Check this link
    http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psyc...istortion_eval
    and this
    http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psyc...ortion_results