Discussion Board

Always allow API permissions on N95 - Signing?

Hello,

I've written an application that makes use of various APIs (Location API, Media API, Network connectivity). The questions like "Allow application xxx to use network and send or receive data?" are really annoying when testing the application and I want to get rid of them on my test-phone, which is a Nokia N95.
    However, if I choose App. Mgr. --> My Midlet --> Open, the preferences for e.g. Network access are only "Not allowed", "Ask every time", "Ask first time". What about "always allow"?
    It's ok if these questions are asked once after installation, but having to say "yes" multiple times everytime the Midlet is started is far beyond just annoying.

I used the forum search and read somewhere, that it might help to "sign" the midlet. Can I also self sign the midlet and just install the Certificate on my N95?
    What's the easiest way to solve my problem? Using commercial services for signing is not an option because it is Freeware.

Thomas

Re: Always allow API permissions on N95 - Signing?

Hi Thomas Welcome To ForumNokia,
    If you are using any restricted api's You need to sign your application. If you sign application then the always allow option will be enabled.
    If you wan to sign your application you have to ge the certificate from any third party providers like verisign or thwate . And sign your application.

For signing help you can refer the below links
    http://www.spindriftpages.net/blog/d...orial-revised/
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/w.../wtk-sign.html
    http://multivac.fatburen.org/localdo.../security.html
    http://blog.javia.org/midlet-signing/

Thanks for the info, especially http://blog.javia.org/midlet-signing/ is very informative.

Just to be sure that I understood it correctly: It is NOT possible to create my own personal ceritificate (for free), install it on MY Nokia N95, then sign my Midlet with this certificate and install it on my phone to enable "Always allow"?
    The Certif. management tool on the N95 has Authority and Personal certificates. Are you sure that "Personal certificates" can't be installed to allow my own Midlets?

Thomas

Nokia Developer Expert

That would represent a security break and the whole signing thing would make no sense at all.
    :Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by rdrincon View Post
    That would represent a security break and the whole signing thing would make no sense at all.
    But isn't it a bit stupid that even a software developer can't test his OWN Midlet on his OWN test-device without having to pay money to CAs?
    For example, if you're developing software for the iPhone, you can tell Apple the serial numbers of the iPhones you use for testing. It's then possible to write whatever software you want without restrictions and test it on your real test-iPhone. It even doesn't matter if you write malicious code because the only phone it runs on is your own test-iPhone and you can do with it whatever you want.

Super Contributor

well I dont see the problem...
    As u are mentioning u are only testing and developing so pressing an OK key a couple of times more wont have an impact on the user friendliness of ur app when its signed and released...
    its just like the iphone, u can test on ur own device but u wont be able to distribute the application unless u pay for ur certificate for the appstore
    so teh yall have approximately the same phases :
    - development (sux a little more in j2me because of warnings)
    - payment (sux a little more on iphone cause u wont be able to ditribute without this step)
    - ditsribution (great on iphone because its al centralized but very little to no liberty on own distribution)