Discussion Board

Question Connection problem in simulator

In our institute we have 3 same model intel computers with windows xp sp3 installed . In that we have encountered some problems and tried some solutions . Can anybody tell me the reasons for them or guide me ?
    All the three had Carbide 1.2 installed with SDK 2 FP3 . These are some scenarios while we were testing http connectivity of our codes with the SDK supplied clientexample , and connecting to google.com with it .Firstly in all the computers , the IAP dialog was popping out on its own and asking for input,on selection it was connecting fine. Only entry being asked was Ethernet.
    1. In the first computer ,after a power cutoff we were able to see multiple unknown long (>30 characters each ) entries in the IAP dialog but no entry for Ethernet (or there maybe one , we could not itentify in that form) . There was one or two VPN entries . Reinstalling the sdk solved it . But what was the reason for crash ? Or from where are these entries are being generated . I have seen the created commdb log and saw nothing as such . Are they IAPS ? What each entry means in term of computer ?
    2. In the second computer suddenly one day while trying opening a connection to ethernet the computer started juggling through multiple connection , once the source was 192.168.1.1 => router ,
    another time source was 192.168.1.22 an inexistant IP third time it was my local server IP , but it never connected internet . Reinstalling the OS solved it temporarily but it is back . I have learned, if the phone cannot connect to the internet through one route , it tries another. So I was wondering about such incident ,and yes i.e and opera browsers connects to Google and other sites .
    3. In the third computer sdk and compiler runs fine till date .

My question is why is this distinct behaviour and or how to gain knowledge about each such aspects . I am sorry I have very low knowledge level about networking and I am in a fix here . This is an emergency ... PLEASE HELP .

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Connection problem in simulator

Quote Originally Posted by sudeepa2005 View Post
    1. [COLOR="Red"]In the first computer ,after a power cutoff we were able to see multiple unknown long
    Reinstalling the sdk solved it . But what was the reason for crash ?
    Perhaps the power cutoff?
    Or from where are these entries are being generated . I have seen the created commdb log and saw nothing as such . Are they IAPS ? What each entry means in term of computer ?
    The emulator bundled with Symbian SDK-s does not contain such countermeasures against data loss you would find in an high-availabilty application server designed for 24/7 uptime. In short: the emulator can be easily killed if the file system of your PC gets damaged, that is all. You should consider executing a hard-drive check on that PC.
    2. In the second computer suddenly one day while trying opening a connection to ethernet the computer started juggling through multiple connection , once the source was 192.168.1.1 => router ,
    another time source was 192.168.1.22 an inexistant IP third time it was my local server IP , but it never connected internet . Reinstalling the OS solved it temporarily but it is back . I have learned, if the phone cannot connect to the internet through one route , it tries another. So I was wondering about such incident ,and yes i.e and opera browsers connects to Google and other sites .
    The emulator is not a phone, and in fact the networking part of Symbian 6/7/8 (S60 1st and 2nd edition) emulators is far from being robust. But in case of an emulator, usability is the goal. You can find configuration tips in the Wiki, but they will not prepare your emulator to handle sudden changes in network configuration, or to survive hardware failures.