Discussion Board

Question Certificate Question

I'm trying to use a function that requires a signed midlet (see http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._ID_in_Java_ME). The page says "Note: In Series 40 devices the MIDlet needs to be signed to a manufacturer or operator domain; otherwise the property will be null." After reading the wiki pages, this requires a certificate from Verisign. Is there a way to test this before purchasing a certificate... even see if the functionality works??

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Certificate Question

Hi,
    Well if your midlet need to be signed in order to access the restricted API..then that means you must have to have the midlet signed..there is no alternative..and there is nothing like first check then you can purchase..People around the world purchasing the same and using..and they never have any kind of issues...so dont worry and you can have this as working one.

Thanks,
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Nokia Developer Expert

Exclamation Re: Certificate Question

Be careful

You CAN'T sign an application in operator or manufacturer domain unless you have an agreement with any of them.

For operator domain, the operator needs to load a certificate in the phones and that means in most of the cases no backward compatibility.

It's not that simple in this case, I would suggest to find a different alternative.
    :Ruben

Regular Contributor

Re: Certificate Question

Hi,

As far as certification goes Thawte provides the certificates and if your requirements are not matched then you can give that certificate back and they would return your money back.

Thawte will also be under 3rd party trusted domain. For which confirmations can be removed through certification go to the below link.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...on_real_phones
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

So the Manufacturers/Operators domain is different than a 3rd party domain signature?

Nokia Developer Expert

Yes, it is different.

there are three different domains and you need to be aware of the capabilities that enables each of them.

Operator and manufacturer domains allow the midlet to use sensitive information about the network not available in third party domain. Typical example: cellid in S40. There are also some aditional capabilities but as mentioned before, you need an agreemente either with the operator or manufacturer in this case Nokia.

Third party domain is usually to get rid of confirmations and for that you just follow the normal signing process.
    :Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by rdrincon View Post
    Yes, it is different.

there are three different domains and you need to be aware of the capabilities that enables each of them.

Operator and manufacturer domains allow the midlet to use sensitive information about the network not available in third party domain. Typical example: cellid in S40. There are also some aditional capabilities but as mentioned before, you need an agreemente either with the operator or manufacturer in this case Nokia.

Third party domain is usually to get rid of confirmations and for that you just follow the normal signing process.
    Great. thanks for the information!

Unhappy Re: Certificate Question

Hi All,

I want my application to run smoothly with out device prompts, not even when it is getting installed for the first time.

I like to know the prompt's that are associated with TTP (Trusted Third Party), Operator and Manufacture domains.

Which certificate will help me to run my app without any system prompts?

Please let me respective certificate service provider for all the 3 domains (Trusted Third Party - TTP, Operator or Manufacture). I am targeting my application to run on JSR 248 enabled devices.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sriram

Super Contributor

For unsigned and trusted 3rd party MIDlet APi access settings see here
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...on_real_phones

In general, for operator and manufacturer domain the settings are "always allowed"
    Note also that getting your MIDlet signed with operator or manufacturer certificate requires close partnering with the specific company (and in Nokia's case the MIDlet has to be built by Nokia or Nokia-branded... which requires business rationale and will not happen in 99.99% of the cases)

Hartti
    Forum Nokia